Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've decided to get myself a proper sports watch but dont know what make, model to go for, I've read advise on here about different types but all I want is something that can tell me how far I've gone and the time I've done it in, do I need a Garmin for that or are there cheaper, less complicated watches out there?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I don't want to stop at all!

Spread Your Wings and Fly away..Far away far away...

Anyway back to thread...

Not sure whether cheaper versions are about or if so better but although I haven't got a Garmin I do think they are quite nifty...the most recent version is less bulky and a bit less techie I believe.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're mad!

Anyway, it looks like its going to be a Garmin then? my boyfriend balked at the cost of it when I mentioned it last night and said is it really worth it? he thinks I'll buy it then get bored of running and it'll be a waste, what a cheek! I love running and its something I know I'm going to stick with so forking out around £100 is fine. Just need to decide which model of garmin to choose, do they all have the GPS stuff on so you know exactly how far you've gone?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Mad as a hatter..........how mad is that?!

I think they all have GPS stuff...great for training runs...except of course that 5m run you do suddenly becomes only 4.13 miles !!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
two (well three actually) methods of working out how far you've gone - watches with GPS that rely on satellite signal to work out your location & route... Speed/Distance meters, which work out how far you've gone based on the movement of your feet, and lastly the good old 'measure it on a map' method - which is actually a LOT more accurate and easy to do than you'd imagine!

For GPS, I believe Decathalon do some cheaper alternatives, though I've no idea what their quality is like in terms of picking up a GPS signal... If you want good strong/realiable signal and don;t need a heart rate monitor, you'd not go wrong with a Garmin Forerunner 205. (not saying it's the only option, but one I know works well!)

For speed distance monitors, it's not something I've really looked into all that much - the best ones don't tend to be cheap, and as a result I'd rather buy a Garmin which can show me on a map where I've been. A cheaper option would be the Nike+ sport band which can connect to your computer and log all your details for you.

The last method is one I used for a long time when I started running, websites have evolved and the use of sites such as gmap-pedometer, and mapmyrun.com mean you can simply trace your route on teh screen and it'll give you a pretty accurate overall distance.

In terms of timing the run - I think any watch can do that for you, and it doesn;t sound like you need any of the 300000 lap memory functions, 32 alarms, 15 countdown timers etc... so just pick one that suits your budget and style ;)

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mad as a hatter..........how mad is that?!

I think they all have GPS stuff...great for training runs...except of course that 5m run you do suddenly becomes only 4.13 miles !!
Eh? are they not very accurate then? its thats the case I think I'd rather have a bog standard stop watch and plan my routes using the web!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I'm starting to wonder now if its worth the money? I think I've leave it for a bit and stick to my usual routes and work on getting round those in one go first then slowing increasing things from there. Dont want to run before I can jog the whole way!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Eh? are they not very accurate then? its thats the case I think I'd rather have a bog standard stop watch and plan my routes using the web!
No that's not what I mean. People often over/under estimate the distance they have run and when they get a Garmin they then discover the route is shorter...(or longer) than they thought.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Seems you're edging towards a garmin... heheh. I can't give you the full specs, but basically 201 and 301 are the older models which have a slightly weaker GPS signal (which I've heard people aying it can lose signal in built up areas and take a while to find you in the first place, though they're certainly not useless!)...

the 205 & 305 are newer models with improved GPS 'ness'. lol. Models starting with a 3 (301 & 305) have a heart rate monitor with them, the 201 + 205 are just for time / distance (including speed/pace etc).

405 is the latest offering, which can be used with or without a Heart rate monitor. It looks a lot more watch like too! (but is also around the £200 mark!)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No that's not what I mean. People often over/under estimate the distance they have run and when they get a Garmin they then discover the route is shorter...(or longer) than they thought.
Ah ok!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems you're edging towards a garmin... heheh. I can't give you the full specs, but basically 201 and 301 are the older models which have a slightly weaker GPS signal (which I've heard people aying it can lose signal in built up areas and take a while to find you in the first place, though they're certainly not useless!)...

the 205 & 305 are newer models with improved GPS 'ness'. lol. Models starting with a 3 (301 & 305) have a heart rate monitor with them, the 201 + 205 are just for time / distance (including speed/pace etc).

405 is the latest offering, which can be used with or without a Heart rate monitor. It looks a lot more watch like too! (but is also around the £200 mark!)
Do you work for them or something?! lol

I dont know, I just want something thats going to record the time I've done for a particular distance, I think a decent sports watch combined with mapmyrun.com can do that. Argos have some pretty decent watches for about £20 so I think thats the route I'm going to head down for the time being :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I can well imagine the need for a Garmin in the backroads of Dorset ...you suffer from "Country miles" in the same way we do here...........they seem to go on forever!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Bloomin heck! I can't keep up! lol. The Garmins are pretty accurate... probably the most accurate you're going to get without physically measuring the route on foot. Usually the stats on my Garmin tell me it has me pinpointed to within 16ft... which aint bad - and it tracks movement very accurately.

e.g. when you load your route onto google maps, it might show you running in the road rather than on the pavement, but it'll still get all your turns etc spot on.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I just use a watch and mapmy run...far cheaper option and takes no time...may not be 100% accurate ( but I don't think Garmins are either) but you'll get distance as close as you need.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I finally got round to downloading my garmin last night, because each run I was going out on I must have used up all my laps and it had started deleting older one, oooops.

I can't recommed the 305 highly enough if you going to get a gps watch it is well worth spending the extra.

But it is a lot of money so really think about it wouldn't want you wasting your money, why don't you try mapmyrun.co.uk for a couple of weeks see how you get on it might help you make your mind up?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Argh! I dont know what to do now except I'm not using my dumb pedometer anymore. I sat for ages with entering all my details making sure they were accurate. Then I went out last night for a 2 mile jog and the stupid thing said I had done just over 1 mile! :mad:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
This thread is going at a pace of its own ha ha

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thats 3 people now who agree with me about mapmyrun, thats solved then! Im not gonna fork out £100 when I can use the net for free!

Cheers! got there in the end!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts