Runners Forum banner

Who has stayed up...

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  twinkle toes 
#1 ·
... to watch the Olympic Marathon.

After all the hype I couldn't not watch it.

#7 ·
But one of our girls managed to get 6th place, but no one seems to have noticed that achievement.
Paula still has the world record, but age and injuries aren't on her side. Perhaps she'd be better nuturing those around her rather than competing against them?

#8 · (Edited)
Feel gutted for her, but least she completed it.

I never watched it, i wanted to but i would not of lasted that long.

She is still one of the best and always be, but unfortunately for her up and coming athletes are springing up and of course them being fitter (cause her injury) and younger and fresh legged .......... (well i am sure of them have had niggles but you know what i mean)

And 6th is fantasic still

Was amazing to watch the mens 10,000 though they are amazing.

:)

#9 ·
I managed to stay awake for about an hour, tapped the rest and went to bed, watched it again in the morning, all our girls put in a valiant effort, but it wasn't our time. Paula doesn't need to prove herself she has already done that.
:d

#10 ·
I stayed up and watched and it was quite clear from the start Paula wasn't going to perform - if she was feeling confident in herself she'd have ran her usual race and led from the start. Seeing her in amongst the herd it was clear it was just a case of completing the Marathon. I've spoken to a few people who have really been moaning about Paula, asking why she went to the Olympics if she wasn;t in peak form - but you forget that even when she's not in peak form, she's probably still in the top 3 british women marathoners!

Great result for Mara Yamauchi... though to be honest I suspect her result was very much as a result of her being better acclimatised to the climate. I'd be surprised to see her put in as good a performance again say in FLM 2009. Well done to her though for her performance on the day and leading the British women home.

Poor Liz Yelling too eh? her fall didn't look too pleasant and I bet she felt pretty damn sore afterwards!

I'm still feeling the effects of staying awake so late though :(

#11 ·
Ok, i'm going to say it even though its probably sacrilege round these parts;

i'm sick to death of paula radcliffe and her constant greeting! if she does well, she cries. if she doesn't do well, she cries. aaaaaggggghhhhh! stop greeting for gawds sake.

why does she have to turn every event she competes in into a melodramatic, nauseating bore in which her 'brave' struggle is the only story?. personally i thought the whle going over when she clearly couldn't compete smacked of diva-esque attention-seeking and a desire for the media spotlight.

#12 ·
Yeah, I can see your point to an extent. I do get sick of the drama of it all. I don't know why she competed. I think she was badly advised. If you are a great runner used to seeking Gold medals, it does seem ridiculous that you would enter an Olympic event with an injury just to complete. I don't think it was brave. It was incredibly silly. But I think now she must realise her Olympic dreams are over. I hope she now just gets back to fitness and runs many more city marathons before retiring gracefully.

#13 ·
I stayed up and enjoyed it.

Well done to all three Brits.

Mara Yamauchi showed what can be done with perfect preparation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.