Runners Forum banner

Should Linford Christie be a mentor?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who got you interested in running? Family member? A runner? Your GP?!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Two runners are massive inspirations to me...

Both suffer(ed) partial sight, whilst not blind, they had extreme difficulty, making out much detail at all, recognizing you by the sound of your voice.

The first, has now unfortunately passed away, being involved in an accident whilst out training, his name was Paul Pearce and one of hte most special people I've ever met. He was the blind world marathon champion, and yet he encourage everyone, regardless of standard. Many runners his standard simply "dissappear" after races, he'd go back and try and cheer the rest of his team mates on as they finished. He was the first runner who truly made me believe that I could actually be pretty good.

The second, is with us, and his name is Noel Thatcher, who carried the flag for the British Paralympic team in Athens and has gold medals at the paralymipcs from 84-00. A truly outstanding runner, he always put a massive amount of effort in. Not only pushing himself to the limit but inspiring others as well.

The lady who started me running was my mum, and I'll always owe her that debt...still not going to clean my room though!

·
Registered
272 Posts
A teacher from a rival school, who got me to join the local club aged 13. My school tended to sideline cross-country so he got involved.
Other than that, Paula R for obvious reasons. What a runner

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sister-in-Law and the Race for Life got me running again. Just wish I would get my butt out the door a bit more, got a 10k in just over a week and have only managed 5k so far eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Two people:
First was a guy called Alan Taylor who organised a class for joggers at Huddersfield Sports Centre where I first went to get myself back into shape and lose some weight. It was him who first saw my potential as a runner and lured me into my first race.
Second was a remarkable Sikh, Ajit Singh, who insisted I go with him to run 'London' in 1993. "You can stay with my friends, it wont cost you anything. You must come, you will beat all the world in the over sixties". I went. He was right - and I'll be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was a Mountaineering Instructor until giving it up to stay at home as a house husband. My inspiration came via the Newsgroup uk.rec.running and a link to a film made about running the West Highland Race.

It mixed my knowledge and love of the mountains with a really fantastic attitude about not giving up, but enjoying. Its a great movie and available here,

My Heart is in the Highlands

or with odd picture shape here,

My Heart is in the Highlands (Google video)

Fab stuff and its what brought me to the fold.

Dave

·
Registered
664 Posts
Girl who works for me, organised a bunch from work to raise money for kids hospital. Her enthusiam and organisation got me off my lazy behind, and discovered something I love. Forever in her debt. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
inspired

My time in the army (10 years) gave me a great although enforced start into running,and after reading dean karnazes booki about ultra running i wanted to run all day and night1 but thankfully i woke up :) seriously if you get chance give it a go it is a great read.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Originally, it was Dave Bedford when he was at his peak. Later, it was Ron Hill through reading his autobiography.
These days I'm inspired every time I see running on TV(apart from those televised fancy dress carnivals), or when I see someone out running past my house. I can also be inspired by reading my old training logs (although as these logs get older they can be quite depressing; only serving to illustrate how much my abilities are waning). :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Steve said:
Who got you interested in running? Family member? A runner? Your GP?!
Emil Zatopek,with his wonderful feats and attitude to his fellow competitors.
He is still my primary inspiration,but a few others have helped to inspire along the way;
Arthur Keily/Ron Hill/John Gilmour/George McGrath,I guess to some younger runners they are just names but it was inspiring for me to see them race in their best years.
Not often mentioned,but some of the most inspiring are those countless organisers and volunteers who keep the running game going for the rest of us.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
There are many runners I admire as athletes. But admiration, the real thing...

It will have to be Emil Zatopek. A great athlete and a great man.
Fast legs, generous and warm heart.

" His most memorable gesture was giving Ron Clarke his very own gold medal that he had won in the 1952 10000m. race. Clarke was a great runner in his own right who was never able to win an Olympic gold medal. I just can't conceive of another person giving up his medal to another athlete in the same manner Zatopek did with Clarke."

in. http://albertcaruana.blogspot.com/2007/08/emil-zatopek-legendary-runner-1.html

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I first started running in the 70s cannot remember why; just thought I’d give it a go!! Didn’t last long. However, got interested in the running boom of the early 80s and was inspired through reading a book by Jim Fixx.

My more recent inspiration has been my health. I love swimming but cannot get to the pool everyday, so running is the ideal thing for days when I cannot swim. However, over the last few months I have been running more than swimming and, even on days I can go swimming I still run!!!!!!!!:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I'm a newbie.
The people who inspire me are the members of this forum!

I have never been into running and have no idea who all these people are. I did however stumble across this forum whilst looking for information about trainers to walk in on our new treadmill as I planned to support Mrs Hrun whilst she lost some weight.

That was easterish and now my entry is in for my first race. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Originally, it was Dave Bedford when he was at his peak. Later, it was Ron Hill through reading his autobiography.
These days I'm inspired every time I see running on TV(apart from those televised fancy dress carnivals), or when I see someone out running past my house. I can also be inspired by reading my old training logs (although as these logs get older they can be quite depressing; only serving to illustrate how much my abilities are waning). :(
Ran at Pencoed road races when Dave bedford was at his zenith quite awesome.
I remember he was leading the race with another runner called John Theophilus John was a good quality runner. These two were neck and neck for a few laps. Then DB decided to kick just left John in the dust , unreal.:eek:

Something i'll never forget.

Signed my first autographs there as well, i was only about 15:happy:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts