Runners Forum banner

Should Linford Christie be a mentor?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Ran at Pencoed road races when Dave bedford was at his zenith quite awesome.
I remember he was leading the race with another runner called John Theophilus John was a good quality runner. These two were neck and neck for a few laps. Then DB decided to kick just left John in the dust , unreal.:eek:

Something i'll never forget.

Signed my first autographs there as well, i was only about 15:happy:

There's also the famous account of Bedford winning the Southern Counties Junior Cross-Country Championship, and half an hour later starting the senior race, winning that also. That's unreal.:eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not replied to this thread before now because I was still pondering on it.

I would like to say that as a newbie runner that Hrun's efforts in both losing weight, taking up running to support his wife and getting all serious about it himself and has done so fab in such a short space of time is an inspiration to me.

*shall I stop gushing* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hrun/Smiler,

I've nothing but admiration for your efforts Hrun ....... and Smiler you " gushing" provided an image of you draining away.

No offence meant....apologies in any event.

Friends?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hrun inspires me too, as do a lot of people on here.

I'm never inspired by great athletes, as I know that they are way out of my league. I'm built wrong to be any kind of great athlete (well, maybe a shot-putter :lol:). I find other normal people in a similar situation to me, who have the determination to keep running and improving, are the ones who inspire me.

As for who/what first got me into running, that was the Race for Life. My uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumour just under 2 years ago and I felt so helpless watching him gradually get worse that I badly wanted to do some small thing to help. If I couldn't help him, at least I could possibly make a tiny contribution to the efforts to discover treatments and cures to help people in future. Sadly my uncle died just 4 weeks before I did the Race for Life, so I ran/walked it in his memory.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was inspired to run by the pot-bellied, scrawny-legged old git staring back at me in the mirror:(. Perhaps "inspired" isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

For real inspiration, several of the Forumites have really helped and as for famous athletes - Paula Radcliffe - just for her determination not to be beaten.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm still undecided on my opinion Paula :embarrassed: She's without doubt a fantastically talented athlete, and very much inspiring - which I praise her for. But, dare I say it, I recently had to think long and hard when someone suggested that it seems if she's not going to win, she won't bother :eek:

To the best of my knowledge ach time she's pulled out of a race, (either before or during) it's been due to an injury concern - but then she's never finished a marathon in anything but first place... can she really be that good?

Food for thought!?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mr Simkiss, are you suggesting that Saint Paula might be a closet quitter??? :nuts:

Did you watch the last New York marathon? She really is that good. If not better. And quite sexy :love:- or is that just me??:embarrassed:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Like others here, I'm inspired less by the 'great and the good' of elite performance, but more by anyone who gets out there and 'gives it a go'. There is nothing better than seeing someone bursting through a moment of self-doubt or achieving a previously unattained goal.

< Please feel free to stop reading here to avoid potential thread hijack due to over-indulgent sentimental clap-trap ;) >

Another and rather strange source of inspiration comes from Sally one of my 2 dogs. Sally is a lurcher/german shepherd cross (didn't quite get THAT piece of information when we got her as a pup from the rescue centre :rolleyes: ), and just at the time I started running she went lame. After a couple of vet visits she was diagnosed with having Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her leg, and sadly had to have her right front leg removed.

The way she has coped with this is incredible, only a day or so after the op she was back up on her feet (all 3 of 'em :p ) raring to go for her walks, even though she was under a strict rest regime. Now she's like nothing ever happened and bounds out for a run round the fields morning and evening (and is still a darn sight faster than Meg my other dog).

It just makes me think that even though she is 'just' a dog, if she can cope with something like that and just get on with life, then surely just a couple of achey legs is no excuse.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Mr Simkiss, are you suggesting that Saint Paula might be a closet quitter??? :nuts:

Did you watch the last New York marathon? She really is that good. If not better. And quite sexy :love:- or is that just me??:embarrassed:
Think that might just be you... that American woman who won GNR last year, she'd do... lol.

I'm not suggesting she's a quitter by any means, she's had to deal with a tremendous amount and each time has come back to winning form. Her peak performance far excels that of other marathon running women. Though for a woman who wins every marathon she finishes, she doesn't race very often does she?

I'll shut up now :embarrassed:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hrun/Smiler,

I've nothing but admiration for your efforts Hrun ....... and Smiler you " gushing" provided an image of you draining away.

No offence meant....apologies in any event.

Friends?

Opps. I quoted the wrong post. The kind of you comment was aimed at smiler and not a sarcastic response to you, which is how it now reads.

I am forever putting both size elevens right in it.

Of course friends and Smiler, thanks!

·
Registered
20,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Opps. I quoted the wrong post. The kind of you comment was aimed at smiler and not a sarcastic response to you, which is how it now reads.

I am forever putting both size elevens right in it.

Of course friends and Smiler, thanks!
:d:d:d:d:d

21 - 34 of 34 Posts