Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just crashed into the Forum without saying hello first....so, er....HELLO!

Doing a 10k tomorrow in Southport. Did one last weekend & I was last by a minute. :(
Oh well, maybe I'll only be last by 30 seconds tomorrow......:'(
I can't run all of it, but can walk pretty damn fast. :p
Going to feed the red squirrels in Formby on the way home...ahhh!

Catalina xx

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thats okay Cat, welcome!

Don't worry about where you finish, at this stage it is the taking part. There is plenty of time to move up the field. Good luck with it.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck, catalina:) Might be a bit choppy tomorrow, take your gloves and hat!:)
Thanks! As long as it doesn't rain. :(
What do people wear if it's raining for a race?? Do they just wear their normal gear & get wet? I don't want to be the only one at the start line in a mack & sou'wester......:lol:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hiya...

as someone's forum sig says.. the person that comes last in a race inst the looser.. its person sat on their sofa stuffing choccy so well done for finishng it!

as for wet weather.. i just wear my normal shorts and technical shirt.. i wouldnt recomend cotton shirts/ joggies as they will just soak up the water an add extra weight, also if you havnt tried a jacket dont do it in a race.. you will probablly find that you will over heat!

good luck in your race and let us know how it goes

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hiya...

good luck in your race and let us know how it goes
Thanks! It's looking like it will be raining in Southport tomorrow morning....:(

I've warned the organiser I'll be last! Told her not to go home until I'd finished as I'll get there eventually.:p

Feel dead guilty being last. Feel like I'm keeping the marshals from the pub!
There was a massive 4X4 following up the rear last weekend, & I had him revving up my arse the whole way....with the occassional honk & blast from his PA system & siren!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good luck. I had vague intentions of doing the Southport run at one point, but decided against it. Got injured anyway as it happened (but who knows, maybe if I'd have had a race I would have been more careful!)

Have fun even if it rains and watch out for giant furry bees etc :d

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Feel dead guilty being last. Feel like I'm keeping the marshals from the pub!

when i entered my first few races i was always super worried about that... then i changed my outlook. at the end of the day there is a group of people racing... someone is always going to win, and as such someone will always be last there is no changing that fact. it would make no difference if i ran a 29min 10k or a 2hr 10k if everyone was ahead of me i would still be last.
i then startd to worry about actually finishing the race instead of being last, which then helped me start getting quicker.

the other outlook; as D:Ream said...."things can only get better" :p

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mind being last, it's just when I'm last by several hours I get a bit stressed.....:'(
And yes, this did happen, when I got lost doing a fell race.....:(

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did the Southport 10k & wasn't last!!! :d Managed to beat a few people, & was 5 mins faster than the 10k last Sunday! :p
Still walking a lot (most......:'( ) of it, but what the hell.
There don't seem to be many people doing these races that are slow.
Everyone seems pretty serious & FAST.

I like entering these races, but I'd like to see more beginners bimbling along, or more fun runs in my area, as it's quite intimidating lining up with these pros.
As someone who did two sports to a high level at one time (never running!!) it's hard feeling so useless at something!
Don't think I'll ever be able to do 38 mins, that the first girl ran.
I'm not used to being crap at a sport, & it's hard to get my head round the fact I may never be any good at this. :(

But I fed the red squirrels in Formby on the way home, & they didn't care how fast I can run! As long as I had peanuts they thought I was just fab! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts