Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Chrissie Wellington's book last night she talks about the importance of compression garments as part of the recovery process.

As I'd had a particularly grueling 15 mile run yesterday I thought I'd give it a go.

Still wearing them now. Felt quite snug actually & legs don't feel quite as achy as usual on Monday mornings.

Anybody else wear compression socks after a long or hard effort either during the day or in bed? And have you noticed positive results?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I quite often sleep in my skins.

Compression clothing really seems to help my recovery and with most of my runs in the evening it seems almost common for me to sleep in lycra! Good thing im single really.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I quite often sleep in my skins.

Compression clothing really seems to help my recovery and with most of my runs in the evening it seems almost common for me to sleep in lycra! Good thing im single really.
What else other than the socks have you tried & think are good?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done, but I usually have to roll them down or remove them in the night as the blood is cut off at the top of my calves...
Ooh that sounds pretty uncomfortable. Mine are just up to the knee so I don't have that issue.

Have you noticed benefits as a result?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I always sleep in Skins leggings after anything over about 18 miles. They definitely make a difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read in a running magazine that wearing compression gear when not exercising can make your muscles lazy? Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading Chrissie Wellington's book last night she talks about the importance of compression garments as part of the recovery process.

As I'd had a particularly grueling 15 mile run yesterday I thought I'd give it a go.

Still wearing them now. Felt quite snug actually & legs don't feel quite as achy as usual on Monday mornings.

Anybody else wears compression recovery socks after a long or hard effort either during the day or in bed? And have you noticed positive results?
I have not seen any authoritative statement saying that I cannot sleep in compression socks, but I will not do so. I only wear them during the exercise and after the exercise, which has eliminated my leg fatigue.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I think for most any benefit from wearing compression hosiery all night would be outweighed by sleep issues.

However I question the logic anyway, compression of the calves helps with that calf pump complex, a mechanism to help your veins and lymph system do their job against the forces of gravity. When you are sleeping this is not needed-so why the need for compression hosiery?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Being a great runner didn't make Chrissie a great physiologist. If anything, restricting flow back from your feet would carry a risk, for the same reason that any pooling followed by movement runs the risk that a small clot forms, breaks off and moves somewhere undesirable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only ever slept in compression socks in multi-day races (usually camping so helps keep me warm as well!). Not sure I could deal with socks in my bed at home though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts