Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking last night, just before I went to sleep, why are marathons and half marathons measured in miles but shorter runs are measured in Km.

Would it not make more sense to either do one or the other.

e.g.

13.1miles = 21km
26.2miles = 42km
or
5km = 3.1miles
10km = 6.2miles

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I ran a 5 mile race on Sunday.

Not 8k...............;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just seems odd that in the racing that we have two different measurements of distance, even running the full marathon there was a 10k and 30k marker!

O.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just a thought on why this is so: All races were measured in Metres / KMs, and its only the marathon (and half) that is measured in miles, and I can only think its because the modern marathon distance was determined in the 1908 Olympics in the UK, and the imperial measurement system, as we all know, has always been alive and well in the UK....

Thats my idea behind it anyway.............

:embarrassed:

edit to add: I think that the 60 yard dashes are an American invention and come from their football and the measurements of the field.... I cuold be SO SO wrong on that though........

I will get my coat

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
10m races are measured in miles too...and isn't the 1m race so measured...1500m is a different distance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I dont think so, my point was that my thinking is the 26.22 miles was set in the UK, and as a knock on the distance will always be 26.22 miles as we determined it and called it, and not 42.195 KMs... hell we did not even know what a KM was in 1908, shit, I still dont know what they are! :d

Someone of course will come along and shoot my theory down...... but hey, I think its a good theory!:cool:

I will get my coat

·
Registered
298 Posts
Steve said:
10m races are measured in miles too...and isn't the 1m race so measured...1500m is a different distance.
I think that 10 miles and 1 mile are picked for the same reason as 10k is picked, the human love of round numbers in our base-10 decimal system (milestones in our lives always seem to occur with numbers ending in zero, double zero, treble zero) ... and not because of the measurement system... This would mean that if we used a base-8 octal numbering system, we would have 8 mile or 8k races...

again a theory to be shot down.... :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
42.195 km seems a lot longer than 26.2 miles when you're running it...the k's seem to be neverending! so I'm happy to stay with miles thank you very much ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Continental marathons are all marked in KM, and may or may not have mile markers, so if you can't get your head round the conversions or figure out your pace / target in km / hour it gets very confusing :s

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten said:
Continental marathons are all marked in KM, and may or may not have mile markers, so if you can't get your head round the conversions or figure out your pace / target in km / hour it gets very confusing :s

tell me about it... I did Copenhagan marathon and Rome marathon in k's, I swear my poor results were due to using too much brain energy trying to convert pace all the way

that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I much prefer miles as I can visual the distance and easily place minutes per mile against that. Once races start stating distances in KM I just start guessing. Or maybe I'm just a bit thick!

·
Registered
664 Posts
For goodness sakes folks, your on the internet, why speculate, a search reveals :

"The length of a marathon was not fixed at first, since the only important factor was that all athletes competed on the same course. The marathon races in the first few Olympic Games were not of a set length, but were approximately 40 km,[10] roughly the distance from Marathon to Athens by the longer, flatter route. The exact length of the Olympic marathon varied depending on the route established for each venue.

The marathon at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London was set to measure about 25 miles (40 km) and to start on ‘The Long Walk’ – a magnificent avenue leading up to Windsor Castle in the grounds of Windsor Great Park. The Princess of Wales wanted her children to watch the start of the race, so the start of the race was moved to the east lawn of Windsor Castle, increasing its length to 26 miles (42 km).[10] The race was to finish at the Great White City Stadium in Shepherd's Bush in London; however, Queen Alexandra insisted on having the best view of the finish; so, in the words of the official Olympic report, "385 yards were run on the cinder track to the finish, below the Royal Box".[10] The length then became 42.195 km (26 miles 385 yards or 26 7⁄32 miles).

For the next Olympics in 1912, the length was changed to 40.2 km (24.98 miles) and changed again to 42.75 km (26.56 miles) for the 1920 Olympics until it was fixed at the 1908 distance for the 1924 Olympics. In fact, of the first seven Olympic Games, there were six different marathon distances between 40 km and 42.75 km (40 km being used twice).

Following the 1908 Olympics in London, an annual event called the Polytechnic Marathon had been instituted over the 1908 distance of 26 miles 385 yards (42.195 km), and it was largely due to the prestige of the Polytechnic Marathon that 42.195 km was adopted as the official marathon distance in 1921 by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) - Rule 240 of their Competition Rules.[1]. The difference between 42.195 km and 26 miles 385 yards is 1.2 centimetres. The difference between the standard distance and the rounded figure frequently employed (as in the table), 26.22 miles, is a little over two metres."

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Trinity said:
42.195 km seems a lot longer than 26.2 miles when you're running it...the k's seem to be neverending! so I'm happy to stay with miles thank you very much ;)
You're right Trinity.

I've only done one marathon and it was marked in km's and you do start to feel as if you've been running forever when you see a marker ahead with a "35" or "40" on it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
calton1954 said:
For goodness sakes folks, your on the internet, why speculate, a search reveals :
but we we not speculating about the reasons for the length of the marathon, but the reasons for the usage of miles and KMs for the different distances.... the setting of the marathon distance was already mentioned in earlier posts...

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I first started running I was astounded to learn that the races were marked out in kilometers. Somebody told me that we were going to run a 5K and I said, what? And had to get out my hand calculator to convert into miles lol...But all the races I've run so far are in K's. I am seeing more eight mile races in my area though, but I'm curious if it's only because people around here don't really understand what a kilometer is :p 3.1 miles to me seems like less running than 5 kilometers lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts