Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
You are paying for the brand and, possibly, quality.
I am happy with my €9.99 Lidl jacket. :D

·
4,242 Posts
Brand name and quality will bump the price up.
I currently have two 1 is Nike, usual cost £80, I got in a sale at £20 and a Montane that I got for free, as an apology from a firm that had given me bad service.

9.99 euros from Lidl sound like a bargain :)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Really love this Odlo top but £150 :(

I'm sure that jacket will keep you warm and dry. Until you sweat and make yourself wet from the inside. My jacket cost me around £15. Barely use it. Simple base layer(aldi £10) under any usual top and a pair of gloves keeps me warm enough in all but the very worst.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I have been hanging in Aldi and there is also a shop that gets left over sports gear from other shops.
Keep going there but unlucky so far with size.

That Odlo jacket I really loved....slim fit and very comfy but no way I am paying that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm using a cheap jacket from Decathalon which I think was around £20 or so. I might upgrade to something else for the winter but I don't think I'll be paying anything like £150!

·
Registered
57 Posts
More Mile do decent enough running jackets for as little as £10 in sales. As Adibear said, you sharp get wet from the inside anyway. Makes me laugh these days, some people have to have all the gear to go for a run, trainers, calf socks/tights, base layer, waterproof, gps watch, running hat and gloves, camelback etc etc

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
More Mile do decent enough running jackets for as little as £10 in sales. As Adibear said, you sharp get wet from the inside anyway. Makes me laugh these days, some people have to have all the gear to go for a run, trainers, calf socks/tights, base layer, waterproof, gps watch, running hat and gloves, camelback etc etc
Not as bad a cyclists though. Amazes me how much those guys spend on kit. On my cycle commute to work I regularly pass guys who are sat on thousands of pounds of carbon fibre. Some of their helmets cost more than my 35 year old bike.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm sure that jacket will keep you warm and dry. Until you sweat and make yourself wet from the inside.
Last time I wore a jacket for running, the sweat pooled in the elbows, and it ran in a stream down my forearms. Horrible and really unfomfortable. I've never worn it again.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I like, prefer even, to buy brand names. There's a noticeable difference in quality of material and in performance - especially when it comes to outdoor activities. They wick better, they dry quicker, they smell less, they keep their shape for longer, wash easier etc etc etc. The list of why an Adidas compression shirt costing twice as much as an Aldi/Hofer one is long, very long.

Call me a poser if you want but when I buy, I want value for my money and that's not something that I find very often in budget shops.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It depends on your disposable income. People with plenty are often judged by those without. For me as a professional with no kids, I do spend extravagantly sometimes but I earn every penny and like to have nice things. I have three Gore jackets, a lightweight wind proof for stowing in my pack, a wind proof for local running and a gore tex waterproof for when it's lashing down or hailing/snowing on the trails. It does make a difference out for a few hours on the cliff tops mid winter. None of them cost me over £60 as I shop in sales most of the time. Lots of the time people post that waterproof jackets are pointless, they are for some types of runner but to some of us they are excellent. Cheap waterproof jackets however often don't breathe well and you end up like a boil in the bag kipper. Same as shoes, GoreTex running shoes hold water in when its raining or you run through a stream so in general they are best avoided, but for running in snow they are excellent as your feet stay dry and warm.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Mileta used to make running jackets for Nike. The jackets were silver grey with blue upper across the upper half. They also made their own Mileta jackets from the same material but with the colours reversed
blue base with silver grey upper. I knew the MD well and he said the Nike jackets outsold Mileta by about 5 to 1 in his factory shop event though the Mileta one was priced at less than 2/3 the price of the Nike one. Proof there are a lot of label snobs out there

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mileta used to make running jackets for Nike. The jackets were silver grey with blue upper across the upper half. They also made their own Mileta jackets from the same material but with the colours reversed
blue base with silver grey upper. I knew the MD well and he said the Nike jackets outsold Mileta by about 5 to 1 in his factory shop event though the Mileta one was priced at less than 2/3 the price of the Nike one. Proof there are a lot of label snobs out there
Proof that Mileta has a crappy marketing department you mean.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not really - the jackets were side by side in the shop - it meant some idiots were quite prepared to pay a premium price for a 'label'
Then yeah, if they're side by side for easy comparison, and are identical in style, quality and function then I agree with you 100%.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not as bad a cyclists though. Amazes me how much those guys spend on kit. On my cycle commute to work I regularly pass guys who are sat on thousands of pounds of carbon fibre. Some of their helmets cost more than my 35 year old bike.
Guilty as charged!

If my wife knew how much money I'd spend on bikes and bike kit I'd be in serious trouble. One of my bikes is worth a fair bit more than my car - and I drive a Mercedes!

·
2,698 Posts
I like, prefer even, to buy brand names. There's a noticeable difference in quality of material and in performance - especially when it comes to outdoor activities. They wick better, they dry quicker, they smell less, they keep their shape for longer, wash easier etc etc etc. The list of why an Adidas compression shirt costing twice as much as an Aldi/Hofer one is long, very long.

Call me a poser if you want but when I buy, I want value for my money and that's not something that I find very often in budget shops.
+1 :tup:

Lots of the time people post that waterproof jackets are pointless, they are for some types of runner but to some of us they are excellent. Cheap waterproof jackets however often don't breathe well and you end up like a boil in the bag kipper.
Totally agree with this - I think a lot of people who write off all running jackets as useless have never tried a really good one. I have a Gore Running Wear jacket made with Gore-tex Active fabric, and it works great in the rain. Allows sweat to wick and keeps you warm and dry.

Those Nike Shield jackets are crazy though - are they the ones with the super reflective coating? I think that's why they have such a high price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts