Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd start a new thread about this as it was mentioned in the RF social thread earlier and I don't want to get told off for going off-topic.

Why are 5k races hard? I would have assumed that they are easier than 10k's? Is it becuase you are running at a much faster pace?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have not run a 5k race, but from training I do find 5k much harder than 10k - my 10k times are coming down, but my 5k is hovering about the same. Guess it's because you go faster for one thing - personally I find I'm not comfortable until I've been running for about 15 minutes and the the leg muscles are nicely supplied with oxygen - in a 5k, there's not much time to make use of it by then, whereas in a 10k I can start a little slower and pick up the pace later. So guess it's down to having to go off quickly and the muscles go into oxygen debt much quicker.

I hope to maybe do a 5k in August if I can fit it in, as would be interesting to see how I go in race conditions.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
No time to relax in a 5k...just run very hard from the b of the bang!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
If you define hard as when you do something strongly with a lot of emphasis on your time then i supose you could say a 5k is hard It all depends on the individual .

Some people suit shorter runs, some longer and some suit a broad range of distances.

The radio programme that Dave flagged up explained the reasons why the above is so.
(Proportion of fast and slow twitch muscles amongst other things)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I find 5k harder in some ways but not others. It's harder, because it is essentially a long sprint so I feel it a lot more in my chest and legs. With 10km, you can slow it down at times to catch your breath. But 10k is harder sometimes because you know you have to keep going for longer. It's easier to go all out for 5km when you know it's only going to last for 18 minutes.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve said it...

it's just all out from start to finish :push:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
A 5k is so painful because you are running very close to your lactate thresehold for a sustained time. More lactate in your muscles means more pain.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Surely if we all ran a distance as hard as we could then ultimately they should all seem as hard as each other? a 5k would undoubtedly be more intense, but for a much shorter period. a 10k ran hard is still bloody painful, as is a half marathon, then going onto marathons and ultras, that's a whole different type of pain!

Just personal preference as to whether you want to get the pain over an done with quickly, or endure a milder pain for a longer period of time! Anyone who says a race doesn't hurt has plenty more to give! :p

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Going by Richards theory if you are into short sharp pain take up indoor athletics and do the 60 metres. 7 seconds job done.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If I go flat out over 60 metres I feel no pain at all. It's only at about the 70-80m mark that it begins to hurt. In fact, When I go for a short 4 mile run, I try and do a flat out 100m sprint halfway through. It really feels good. I love the feeling of speed :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts