Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On holiday from work this week, but still got up at 6 to go running (dedication or what!!! or complete madness!) and whilst running i got the stitch in my right hand side, this happened twice last week too. I carried on running with it, but I don't know what causes this. Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to prevent this? :d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I find I get stitch if I've been breathing too shallowly and fast for a bit - so it mostly happens if I'm running a bit too fast or when I've been running for a while and I'm tired. If I catch it straight away, then slowing down slightly (which means walking, given the speed I run!) and making myself breathe slowly and deeply usually eases it after a few breaths and then it goes completely after just a few more.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I go in fits and starts with stiches I can go for a week of getting them and then nothing for weeks, I have looked at what I have eaten beforehand, if I ran too fast etc etc but I can't make sense of it so have stopped worrying about it. Like BPC I tend to slow down the pace or punch out breaths that can sometimes work.

Annoying aren't they :mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks BPC, but like you my running speed is not much faster than walking I just dont understand why it has only started in the last week :d

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Twinke toes, yes they are annoying, I dont eat before running I get out of bed at six, drink some water and then go out at 6.15am so dont have my porridge until back from running. :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If I remember correctly, even the experts are still slightly baffled as to what's going on in the body when you experience a stitch... I very often get them on a hard run or race, and try to alter my breathing pattern so that I forcefully exhale when the leg on the opposite side of teh body to the stitch hits the ground, that seems to help me.

I also read something about slowing down, leaning forwards and to the side of the stitch, and applying pressure with the fingers to the area of the stitch. Not something I've tried though!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I also read something about slowing down, leaning forwards and to the side of the stitch, and applying pressure with the fingers to the area of the stitch. Not something I've tried though!
This depends on the location of the stitch. The remedy you refer to, Mr.S, is the one for abdominal stitch. It is possible to get a thoracic (chest/ribs) stitch, the remedy for which is the opposite, ie, leaning away from the painful side.

Karen, I'd suggest not having the drink of water before you run as one possible solution.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Thanks for the clarification Pedestrian... I wasn't too sure on exactly what the remedy was, but I was sure I'd read something about it! :embarrassed:
The remedy you described was perfecly correct, Mr.S. The one that I added was told to me when I was still a kid, and has worked for me, although you tend to look most peculiar when employing it out on the roads!:embarrassed:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts