Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm new in here as well as new to running. I've just finished my first week of, urm... training, I guess and I'm feeling strangely addicted already.
The more people I talk to about it and the more I read it seems there's something about running that we, human beings, love about running. Is it instinct? natural urge? freedom?... why running?
What gets you guys up and out of the house? Why do you do it? Why are we hooked?

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
We are hooked because of the Endorphine release we get from the physical activity we are doing. Also for me there is the sense of personal achievement from running.

I do it because I enjoy it, and an added benefit is that I don't have to watch what I eat nearly so much as a result (very sweet tooth).

Oh and welcome to the forum Firefly.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I think most people feel addicted when they first start. This may be because in the early days you see improvements very quickly and this motivates. It is what happens down the line that defines you. If you restart after injury, still run when it is crappy weather or start posting threads as to whether you are addicted or obsessed :p

For me it started as a way to lose weight. I got carried away with the running until I injured myself and now I am refocusing on the primary reason and this will lead to much stronger running I think.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What Squint said about the endorphins! Also, I'm obsessive about charting my progress in terms of mileage, speed and heart rates and stuff. Geek alert! :s I guess it's about achieving some kind of ultimate goal... currently mine is to run the Great South Run in October at sub-70 mins, but the goalposts tend to move a lot!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think most people feel addicted when they first start. This may be because in the early days you see improvements very quickly and this motivates. It is what happens down the line that defines you. If you restart after injury, still run when it is crappy weather or start posting threads as to whether you are addicted or obsessed :p
haha... very true... :lol:

running can be a nightmare at times... sometimes i still go for a run even when i'm falling apart...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I run because I enjoy it and its the only exercise I actually really like and is available to me. Also if I didnt run I would be a fat lump!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I asked myself the very question today when I was out running! I ran a hard 5k yesterday and then got up this morning and headed off on an 11.5 miler. My legs were dead approaching 8 miles and I could have just cut short and finished early but I pressed on and wouldn't give in and finished my distance. I suppose ultimately it's the fitness aspect of it and the sense of achievement, not to mention the fun of doing races. It does seem like madness at times but it also feels like a natural state at the same time.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Firefly.

I run so I can eat what I want.....and because it's just about the cheapest form of exercise there is!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Firefly

Welcome to RF.

Stick with the training schedule and keep us posted on your progress.

I echo Steve I run so I can eat what I like too :p

TT:d

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Firefly

I run to keep my stent from clogging up:d Swimming and cycling helped by encouraging my body to grow its own bypass around my 95% narrowed artery; it didn't eliviate the angina completely, however, it did help. So I figured that if I add running to my regime it could only be a plus.:d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are awesome. Some inspiring responses. I'm definitely sticking to it. Can't wait to get enough fitness and stamina to head out on the long runs.
I used to waitress and since I gave that up I haven't done any exercise at all. My weight is fine but my fitness is shocking! I can only manage 3 minutes before my lungs come out my mouth but believe it or not that's progress. The same was true last week for 2 minutes. Slowly but surely I'll win the race.
When I was around 10 I ran the long distance on sports day and won! Shocked everyone because I wasn't a sporty child as it were. It was a long time ago but I remember this... After about half way my legs kicked into auto pilot. My legs just kept pounding and arms kept pumping almost independent from me and I strode out past the leaders and won. The most difficult thing was stopping. I'm hoping the longer runs will become something like this. Push past the wall and you're away? Am I wrong?
PS Thanks for the warm welcome folks, I've been in forums before and never had any responses. Those guys were obviously not as fab as you lot! Thanks x

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
You're most welcome, we are a very friendly bunch here.:d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey twinkle toes, any good with technical support? How do I get my picture to come up next to my name? It comes up on my profile but not when I post. The little things bug me x

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
go to "UserCP" "Edit Avatar" and you should be able to get it done there? :d I hope, I just took a quick look on my own to check :d

1 - 20 of 49 Posts