Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to run faster than my training plan?!:mad:

I did not have a run planned today as I am in sole charge of my little wonders, which is fine coz I'm planning on going long tomorrow. However my considerate neighbour (also a runner) offers to watch the kids if I want to run. Great, I think, I'll do four miles very easy.

Oh no that would be too sensible! I hit the road, wind up the pace and do my fastest 4 miles ever. So I'll probably go out tomorrow, get injured, miss my HM in three weeks and it will all have been in vain!!:mad:

Is this classic beginners stuff or am I just stoopid?:eek:

flakey

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Probably - can't you just rest tomorrow. Its best not to get too obsessed and remember we have another life and other commitments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steepler

You are probably right about the 4 miles not affecting things either way. However what I was trying to get across in my post run rant (sorry folks) was - Do beginners have the tendency to stray from their training plans or is it just me?

flakey

BTW I did my long run and my body has not disintegrated!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
No its not just you I do the same. I'm just over cautious at the moment as I've got some injuries, which means I can't really run or not for very long anyways.

I think my injuries are more biomechanical rather than due to overtrianing - I'm not very fast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
firstly..well done on running your fastest 4 miles ever.

Programs are all well and good, but far better is to go by feel. If you feel awful and are not going to be able to go round your route then don't go, it'll be worth nothing and the demotivation from a bad run can be worse than missing a few miles. On the other hand if you do more runs or faster as well and your bodyt recovers from them, then happy days! Your body is recovering faster and coping with the training load.

It's not just a beginner tendency, everyone from the newest beginner to the best elite will vary from their schedule from time to time. I guess the difference is that the elite perhaps knows better when to vary it, and what to do re: overtraining/undertraining.

Whilst you've just got us :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts