Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been trying to get into cycling for a while, cant afford a good road bike at the mo and planning on doing a winter dualathlon series on the mountain bike which is in woodland with trail run as the running part. I do a wide variety of different runs from hills to 5k, but am a bit worried that cycling will slow my running. some one told me it shortens your muscles (I am already tight!) did my first good 10 miler on sunday (agony!)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Can you get a bike through the cycle to work scheme? I got a £1000 Cannondale SL1 which cost me about £670 all in over the 12 months

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you get a bike through the cycle to work scheme? I got a £1000 Cannondale SL1 which cost me about £670 all in over the 12 months
ha ha Leon I work from my house! shortest commute in the world.;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have started cycling moreso recently. Sometimes right after a bike ride I will run....for some reason my pace at 75% mhr is faster by 30 seconds after running straight after biking than it is if I go out on a normal morning run. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cycling definitely won't slow you down if done alongside your running! It strengthens your legs with a lot less impact than running, gives the joints a nice break.
So long as you fit the bike properly you shouldn't experience any more tightness than usual. You can get a bike fit from most bike shops these days.

·
2,698 Posts
I got a bike about a month ago, mainly for commuting, and I do about 45 miles a week at the moment on it. During this same time I've done 3 weeks of 40+ miles of running, some of the biggest weeks since I started running, but my legs have felt really fresh still.

So in short, cycling certainly hasn't harmed my running!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a bike about a month ago, mainly for commuting, and I do about 45 miles a week at the moment on it. During this same time I've done 3 weeks of 40+ miles of running, some of the biggest weeks since I started running, but my legs have felt really fresh still.

So in short, cycling certainly hasn't harmed my running!
interesting you say your legs have felt fresh. I have had a calf strain for the last couple of weeks and its been getting me down. did a 10 mile cycle yesterday instead of my long sunday run and the calf feels great- like its been massaged out. I cant really explain how and it could be just coincidence.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have started cycling moreso recently. Sometimes right after a bike ride I will run....for some reason my pace at 75% mhr is faster by 30 seconds after running straight after biking than it is if I go out on a normal morning run. ;)
think triathletes do this. going to start that as there is a local race (for charity) that combines a 5k with a bike sprint up a very steep hill then a running sprint up the same hill. its HARD! I will also be doing off road duelathlon this winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been a racing cyclist for the last 15 years after doing my knees in and being unable to run pain free. I've just got back into running though and enjoying the cross-over. The cycling motion has definately helped me and the muscle I have built up also helps the running now.
It is possible that your calf muscles can shorten if you cycle a lot as, if your position is set up correctly, you never fully extend your leg. There should always be a slight bend in your knee at the bottom of the stroke. When you are spending many hours on the bike and doing 10,000 + miles per year, it is important to stretch your calves out post ride.
There is a common belief amongst cyclists that cycling aids running as it builds muscle in your legs, but running is bad for cycling as it strips the muscle. Seems reasonable to me when I remember how skinny my legs used to be when I was just a runner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No it won't affect your running badly, it will help build up the muscles on your calves and helps your knees too! I would definitely recommend it!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've been a racing cyclist for the last 15 years after doing my knees in and being unable to run pain free. I've just got back into running though and enjoying the cross-over. The cycling motion has definately helped me and the muscle I have built up also helps the running now.
It is possible that your calf muscles can shorten if you cycle a lot as, if your position is set up correctly, you never fully extend your leg. There should always be a slight bend in your knee at the bottom of the stroke. When you are spending many hours on the bike and doing 10,000 + miles per year, it is important to stretch your calves out post ride.
There is a common belief amongst cyclists that cycling aids running as it builds muscle in your legs, but running is bad for cycling as it strips the muscle. Seems reasonable to me when I remember how skinny my legs used to be when I was just a runner.
My legs have got much more muscly since I started running...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started running after a mounting biking crash couple of years ago :) My physiotherapist said that it is good to have new kind of workload on my knee (after six months of rehabilitation at the gym).

I like both sports, but mountain biking is more fun than running, even after that crash.

If I have a period when I’m only mountain biking (like two to three weeks), it is quite hard to get back to running. But after a couple of runs, I feel like I’m just as fast (or slow) as before.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
If I recall correctly cycling helps running but running doesn't help cycling
An old friend of mine doesn`t think running has helped his mountainbiking but its given my riding a bit of a turbo charge ...... :unsure:

He runs on flat roads and I favour hilly forest trails.... :happy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts