Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time training through the winter. In fact, this is the first time I've 'trained' in two and a half years!

I have a wonderful windproof jacket with detachable sleeves which I wear (sleeves have been put on from this week), and usually wear a base layer and loose jogging trousers. This morning (5am, and probably around 1 or 2 degrees) I noticed my thighs felt the cold a bit and it took me a little while to warm up. This got me thinking to the fact that I probably don't have the most suitable kit for winter.

So, advice please? I'm thinking some thicker jogging bottoms and maybe some proper winter tops as opposed to various thickness base layers? Maybe some gloves...

I've found my Buff headthingy fantastic for keeping head and ears warm and dry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hanna I`ve fond the secret of winter training is to use various thin breathable layers, e.g. if the temperature is in the minus degrees I`d wear a thermal vest and sometimes thermal long bottoms, then on top of that a long sleeved t-shirt and trackster type bottoms and finally a waterproof and windproof jacket the brighter the colour the better as most training done in the winter is usually done in poor light. Then to finish it off a some gloves and a hat, the reason I`ve suggested breathable clothing is because it lets moisture evaporate through it but keeps your body heat in, hope this has helped.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got some adidas gloves from sweatshop for £8. They are spot on, they take the chill away but dont let your hands get hot.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I usually just wear my Ron Hill Tracksters, a Ron Hill long sleeve tee and an old tshirt on top. If it is below 5 degrees I might wear some gloves. If it's raining I wear a light waterproof jacket. Works for me :) If I wear too many layers I get too hot after a couple of miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Layers are the big secret behind surviving the winter cold.

I usually wear, long tights, jogging bottoms, a running shirt, a rugby polo, a running jacket and running gloves.

Another advantage is that you can leave something at home on a relatively warm day.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually just put on my windproof jacket in the winter, along with my usual shorts and t-shirt (and hi vis vest in the dark). I'll put on my woolly hat if it's cold, but I don't need it that often.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I wear long tights, long sleeved base layer, dry-fit vest over top and running jacket. Start with running gloves and running hat (they fit easily in jacket pocket when I warm up). I have been known to go our fully kitted when it was not as cold as I imagined - but all I do then is tie the jacket tighly around my waist and it stays firm whilst I finish my last couple miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts