Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The cosmos finally heard my pleas of 'wanting to lose weight, save the world, and be rich' by putting my car out of action and thus reducing carbon emissions, saving me on petrol and forcing me to rethink how I get about. I have therefore decided to attempt to begin running to work. Not an ideal time to start as winter is on its way, and I will be doing most/all of my running in the dark.

The majority of it will be on lanes, with a bit of off road, and therefore I wanted to know what kit I will need to start out?

Is windproof/waterproof trousers a good idea, or am I better off in shorts and then shower when I get to work? Are trainers going to get wet so quickly they become uncomfortable, or is there another shoe I should invest in?

Its going to be about 8 miles, and at my current standard, probably about 2 1/2 hours!
Any help, (other than get the bus) is most welcome,

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
winter running

hat, check, head torch, check, bib, check. Got all the above already, it was more the trouser and trainer part I was struggling with as used to running short distances where getting wet isn't too much of a problem., (8 miles is long for me!!)

Was worried that wet trainers and troosers would become an issue? Read a few of runningfox' threads and I guess long distant fell running clobber is closest to what I need for running through someone's field??(with speed element in case of alert sheepdogs)
Thanx for replies though.:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I run in just a pair of shorts and T-shirt, don't mind the wet, I might have to rethink when it starts to get cold, makes that hot shower at the end even more appealing !!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
knight runner said:
hat, check, head torch, check, bib, check. Got all the above already, it was more the trouser and trainer part I was struggling with
Trainers: If you're going to be running on mixed surfaces you need a good trail shoe that will feel comfortable, and wear well, on any sort of terrain. I'm currently wearing Inov 8 Terrocs but I've recently bought a pair of New Balance 781's which my partner (a LV60) swears by. I haven't tried them yet so can't comment. But the Terrocs are VERY comfortable. People wore Inov 8's for the coast to coast walk across Scotland this year (see October TGO magazine) and claimed they were more comfortable than boots. They're quite light and actually made with running in mind.
Trousers: I wear Ron Hill tracksters (when it's too cold or wet for shorts) but my partner has some lycra type ¾ length tights that look good as well as feel good. She had Salomon XA Raid ¾ length tights recommended but hasn't been able to find a supplier yet. Let me know if you can find one!
Jacket: I wear a Montane Speedlite that has a hood and folds up to the size of an apple. But I'd recommend a Montane 200 - similar to this men's one that's currently on offer at Winwood Outdoor for £55. I assume there'll be a woman's version. See this link:
http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Men_Montane_Jackets.html
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
knight runner said:
Thanks running fox,
Had a look for some of the products you mentioned. The only site I could find that had the 3/4 XA Raid was this one
http://www.cham3s.com/gb/mountain.htm?http://www.cham3s.com/gb/ficheproduit.asp?idproduit=4014
Think its french as keeps talking bout euros. Definitely had guys version, but not so sure about the womens.
Thanks for the link. Looks like it's in Chamonix. They do have a woman's version of the 'Raid' tights. If you scroll down the left side and click on 'Ladies Trail Running' you'll find it in there.
Cheers!

·
Registered
143 Posts
knight runner said:
I have therefore decided to attempt to begin running to work.

Its going to be about 8 miles, and at my current standard, probably about 2 1/2 hours!
Any help, (other than get the bus) is most welcome,

Thanks
Are you planning on running both ways every day? If so you will be doing 80 miles per week from a base of zero! Even to only run one way and bus home would, almost definitely, result in you breaking down with both injury and exhaustion.

flakey

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
flakey said:
Are you planning on running both ways every day? If so you will be doing 80 miles per week from a base of zero! .flakey
A chap I know, called Bill Robertson from Perth, used to do exactly that - eighty miles a week running to work and back every day, and kept this up until he retired a year or two ago. But he's an ultra runner who was training for marathons, 24 hour track races and the like. I met him on the annual coast to coast jaunt across Scotland of which he's done twenty five!
What bothers me is Knight Runner talks of taking 2½ hours for an 8 mile run - 18¾ minute miling, which, let's face it, is a good walking pace! When I began running I ran no more than three miles for the first couple of months, but ran it regularly six days a week, resting on Fridays. Then I introduced a five mile circuit each Sunday until, two months later, I could handle eight miles. But I certainly couldn't have done it every day. It was about four years before I could run eight miles on a regular basis, but could then do it easily in under an hour. Then, and only then, would I have considered running to work each day. But then, I was approaching sixty at the time. Who knows what Knight Runner is capable of in her comparative youth? Good luck to her, whatever she decides.
Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the two and a half hours was taking into consideration getting lost at every turn, as it will be done in the dark!
No not planning on running every day....yet. was thinking walk/run two days a week, cycle one, bus or cadge lifts the other two days and then get lifts home. To begin with. Ideally I'd like to be running most of it at least one day by the time I'm running to see the sun rise. If I could get to half the standard of runningfox' mate and run to work every day but get lift back, I'll be as happy as the new born lambs I'll be passing.
Maybe my tag name should be'dreamer'?
Have got a bit of a running past so not too worried yet about the distance, more about the fact that I've had nightmares for years about lions, and I am running in Big cat country....in the dark.....on my own.....oh my god what am I thinking!!!:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
K R

Go for it, I' m sure you would benefit from it in numerous ways. Take it easy initially and i'm sure your 'dreams' will become reality!

flakey

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
knight runner said:
Maybe my tag name should be'dreamer'?:
Live the dream!!!!
Cornwall is a wonderful place to run. We come every year to Crantock and can't wait to get our shorts on and get moving: beautiful undulating coast paths with gentle breezes and the soughing of the sea, sandy paths across flower-decked commons with a myriad butterflies, kestrels hovering, buzzards hunting, skylarks singing, and the odd basking adder watching us glide past. All magic stuff that makes us glad we're runners! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts