Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my first season as a paid up, race entering runner seems to be just about over. I've now run 6 or 7 10k's and made massive improvements.

However now the trail/XC season seems to come in, and although there are a few races here and there that I could enter, there appear to be few 10k's until the Spring.

Any suggestions for winter training strategy? I started out just to enjoy running, but have got into this road racing lark now and will miss the frequency of races in the summer. Obviously I still want to enjoy running, but I have been so focused on improving with each 10k race, I feel a bit lost now there aren't any more for a bit and wonder if it will affect my motivation :(

To get a lot faster next spring, should I train really hard in the winter, or just keep things ticking over then up the pace again when races approach, or just stick to what I feel I'm enjoying until I gain the extra focus of an impending race?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
personally im planning on using the winter to get a good base to build on for next season...
lots of intervals/ hills and longer runs for me i think.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'd recommend building up your long runs over the winter It might also be worthwhile doing some crosstraining too - swimming and strength work would be good as you could do them even when the weather is bad.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd use the winter as a chance to have a long, un-interrupted stint of training, running as many miles as is safely possible... as spring comes around start to bring in the speedwork and then marvel at your fantastic improvements that you've achieved over the winter months :)

Sounds easy in theory eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a great time to do some XC and trail running which will really build up your fitness and strength and make your road runs next spring even faster!

It makes me sad there aren't more races in the winter as I much prefer winter running to summer, or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
not just you at all rachelina... though the warmer rain of the spring & autumn is a little more welcoming than the painfully cold rain of deep winter. I LOVE the dry frosty mornings :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
not just you at all rachelina... though the warmer rain of the spring & autumn is a little more welcoming than the painfully cold rain of deep winter. I LOVE the dry frosty mornings :)

Same here, I like that weather too.

There's a few trail runs I like doing in the autumn - the views are great when you can see through the trees/bushes, once the leaves have fallen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts