Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still get that feeling before I go out for a run or go to gym. You know? That feeling in the pit of your stomach that you got at 10 years old when you lined up for the first time at left back for the school team over forty years ago. The thing is, just lately, there's been something else there. A sort of nervousness, an apprehension or even fear.

I don't know how or when it started but this summer, for some reason, I haven't had that same bounce, that joie de vivre in my running. I felt tired, heavy legged, (even) slower. My weight had gone up a few pounds, same exercise regime, same diet, my trousers still fitted and so I told myself I'd bulked up a bit in the gym.

It came to a head a few weeks ago when I felt unwell during my long run. I stopped and walked some way short of halfway then jogged backed. I started to think that, well, age catches up with us all eventually and maybe it was time to hang up the Asicsand take up knitting or sky-diving.

Due to work and other commitments, I didn't run again for about a week. I then did my usual run and felt OK. I did my long run later that week and again felt OK. I checked my weight and, yeah, it seemed to be about what I'd expect for this time in the summer. Tonight I went on my long run and felt good for the first time this year, I didn't feel exhausted at the end, tired yes but I felt that I could run for another mile, or two or three, maybe four or seven.

I don't remember feeling unwell or different in anyway recently. maybe I had some bug that just didn't show up until I ran. who knows? I don't know what I'm even trying to tell you all by writing this. Perhaps I need to just get it of my chest (cough!). Anyway, make of it what you will and if you've got this far, thanks for being so patient.

Martin

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sometimes I think you just need a break!

Possibly there are other thing in your life you hadn't realised were taking priority.

I have seen several posts where PB's have been set after a short sabatical. Glad you have rediscovered your purpose

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello there,
Wow, you were actually picked for left back...? I was only allowed on a football field if the kid with one leg failed to show up.. Sometimes I was allowed to replace one of the jumpers as a goalpost.
I know what you mean though. I tell you what I'd do, I'd forget about long runs, short runs or anything else like that. I'd find the most beautiful place in your area there is to do a few miles, get some kicking tunes on the iPod and leave the watch at home.

I think there is a danger from a 'result focused' motivation. As we get older, performance inevitably deteriorates, and there comes a point where the results don't come as often; whatever those results are, whether race results or pounds weight lost. But I think if the reward is the pleasure of just going out and doing that activity for its own sake then that's much more sustainable.
I shouldn't hang up the shoes if I were you, just find a way to make it a pleasure to taking them out for a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm struggling myself at the moment with motivation and one of the things that keeps me running is the thought of becoming overweight again. I've struggled recently with injury and the weight has slipped back on a bit as the mileage has taken a big dip.

If it wasn't for the half marathon I have signed up for next month, I'm sure I'd have used the injury as an excuse to give up altogether.

Wounded, you say your weight is OK for this time of year... are supposed to be lighter or heavier in the summer?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interested to read what you say, having just come back from a pretty poor excuse for a run. Still, very much a beginner but seem to have the odd day when I feel I am making real progress then lots of days when I wonder why I bother even trying to become a decent jogger/runner.
As you said, I also get a feeling of apprehension before I go out - particularly if the last time I went out I came back feeling pleased with myself - its like I am convinced I won't be able to do as well next time (which is usually true!)
Last weekend I managed 3 miles without a stop in around 35mins - pretty good for me..! This week has been really heavy at work, only got out one lunchtime to do a bit of running and wished I hadn't bothered. Now just managed a mile but at a very slow pace and more or less walked all the way back.
I know I am probably being very hard on myself - got a lot going on at the moment (not all good), sleeping badly and working hard - probably not the best recipe for suddenly finding those very elusive, somewhat aged, running legs.
The problem is keeping the motivation going when you seem to be getting nowhere (slowly!). I really don't want to give up but, when life is kicking you pretty hard anyway it seems a bit silly to keep trying to do something that is making you feel pretty much a failure..!
Sorry - all a bit negative. Need a good kicking or something. :(

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Interested to read what you say. As you said, I also get a feeling of apprehension before I go out :(
I've never felt apprehensive before going out for a run but, for some reason, I always feel terribly lethargic and invariably start yawning as I'm putting my shoes on. It's as if my body is saying "I'm tired of all this running mullarky, can't we be doing something a little less energetic". Once I get through the door and into my stride, I'm OK.
Racing is a different matter. I've never yet faced a race without feeling apprehensive. If it's an important race, a championship say, I don't sleep very well the night before it either. I have little mantras I repeat over and over again in the lineup and early stages of the race to help me relax and just concentrate on 'good' things. Once I've settled down down to the job in hand, working out tactics and focusing on my opponents, the nervousness totally disappears. It's a case of 'Get thee behind me Satan', blotting out the negative thoughts and getting on with the task in hand - whether that be winning, getting a PB, raising £1,000 for charity, or whatever. Don't be aimless. Have a reason for running and never let that goal slip from your mind.
Cheers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm struggling myself at the moment with motivation and one of the things that keeps me running is the thought of becoming overweight again. I've struggled recently with injury and the weight has slipped back on a bit as the mileage has taken a big dip.

If it wasn't for the half marathon I have signed up for next month, I'm sure I'd have used the injury as an excuse to give up altogether.

Wounded, you say your weight is OK for this time of year... are supposed to be lighter or heavier in the summer?
I don't run as much in the winter and do some weights in the gym so I tend to be a bit lighter in the summer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello there,
Wow, you were actually picked for left back...? I was only allowed on a football field if the kid with one leg failed to show up.. Sometimes I was allowed to replace one of the jumpers as a goalpost.
I know what you mean though. I tell you what I'd do, I'd forget about long runs, short runs or anything else like that. I'd find the most beautiful place in your area there is to do a few miles, get some kicking tunes on the iPod and leave the watch at home.

I think there is a danger from a 'result focused' motivation. As we get older, performance inevitably deteriorates, and there comes a point where the results don't come as often; whatever those results are, whether race results or pounds weight lost. But I think if the reward is the pleasure of just going out and doing that activity for its own sake then that's much more sustainable.
I shouldn't hang up the shoes if I were you, just find a way to make it a pleasure to taking them out for a bit. Good luck.
My two regular runs are in two of the nicest place around here.
My running has always been based on enjoyment but I take the point.
It's always an advantage to be able to kick with your left foot, tackle and run faster than average if you want a game of footy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Remember running cannot be the priority all the time. Don't feel like your letting yourself down if it has to take a back seat for a while. You know in yourself that you'll be back into it when things are better suited. Who have you got to prove yourself to??? Only yourself!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I still get that feeling before I go out for a run or go to gym. You know? That feeling in the pit of your stomach that you got at 10 years old when you lined up for the first time at left back for the school team over forty years ago. The thing is, just lately, there's been something else there. A sort of nervousness, an apprehension or even fear.

I don't know how or when it started but this summer, for some reason, I haven't had that same bounce, that joie de vivre in my running. I felt tired, heavy legged, (even) slower. My weight had gone up a few pounds, same exercise regime, same diet, my trousers still fitted and so I told myself I'd bulked up a bit in the gym.

It came to a head a few weeks ago when I felt unwell during my long run. I stopped and walked some way short of halfway then jogged backed. I started to think that, well, age catches up with us all eventually and maybe it was time to hang up the Asicsand take up knitting or sky-diving.

Due to work and other commitments, I didn't run again for about a week. I then did my usual run and felt OK. I did my long run later that week and again felt OK. I checked my weight and, yeah, it seemed to be about what I'd expect for this time in the summer. Tonight I went on my long run and felt good for the first time this year, I didn't feel exhausted at the end, tired yes but I felt that I could run for another mile, or two or three, maybe four or seven.

I don't remember feeling unwell or different in anyway recently. maybe I had some bug that just didn't show up until I ran. who knows? I don't know what I'm even trying to tell you all by writing this. Perhaps I need to just get it of my chest (cough!). Anyway, make of it what you will and if you've got this far, thanks for being so patient.

Martin
Martin,

This is exactly what has happened to me, i did suffer with clustered migraines but thankfully this has gone now *touch wood. BUt all things you described is happening to me and i have posted this.

I seem to have lost my confidence with running and am trying to get it back, i can do it i know i can its just getting rid of that feeling as you described, feeling nervous etc, i get that... i even did the walking bit and do still sometimes... which i need to totally get rid of once and for all..

Anyway thanks for sharing that nice to know that i am not the only one suffering set backs (but of course you have come through it now, i hope i will soon)

:)

P.S got myself some new running shoes Saturday ........new shoes .. new start again possibly :huh:

P.P.S dont run after consuming a packet of refreshers its not good on your stomach :sick:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Martin,

This is exactly what has happened to me, i did suffer with clustered migraines but thankfully this has gone now *touch wood. BUt all things you described is happening to me and i have posted this.

I seem to have lost my confidence with running and am trying to get it back, i can do it i know i can its just getting rid of that feeling as you described, feeling nervous etc, i get that... i even did the walking bit and do still sometimes... which i need to totally get rid of once and for all..

Anyway thanks for sharing that nice to know that i am not the only one suffering set backs (but of course you have come through it now, i hope i will soon)

:)

P.S got myself some new running shoes Saturday ........new shoes .. new start again possibly :huh:

P.P.S dont run after consuming a packet of refreshers its not good on your stomach :sick:
This last week or so I've got the old feeling back. I went out tonight around a muddy and windy route and felt really good. Just stick with it Leece. If an old git like me can recover from whatever it was I'm sure you can!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If an old git like me can recover from whatever it was I'm sure you can!
Old git! What does that make me? It's funny, when I was out running today some builder shouted to ask if I was training for the Olympics. "Yeah" I said. Then the thought crossed my mind that when the Olympics come to London in 2012 I'll have turned eighty Think I'll ease off the training, might be too old!
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts