Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a wobble board in the January sales. Does anyone have one of these (seem to remember Granty mentioning it)? And if so, what do you do on it - apart from stand and try not to wobble...:eek: and has it helped with running/injury prevention.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
There you have been a leaflet with some suggested exercises but essentially you try and maintain your balance, which is actually quite difficult and at first you may need some support. They are really useful for strengthening the core muscles in your tummy and also the ankles.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Only exercise I've done using a wobble board is balancing whilst somebody throws a medicine ball for you to catch... it sounds easier than it is :p

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Wobble boards are fantastic, done wonders for my decaying and buggered ankle ligaments. - I had a few specific ones from a physio to try out but basically its all about balance and trying to get it so edges don't touch the floor by making gradual adjustments.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I once improvised a wobbleboard by screwing my mums rolling pin to a piece of wood! :eek: I used it by balancing on one foot at a time; firstly so that the board rocked backwards and forwards; and then with it rocking from side to side. It's surprising just how much effort you need just to maintain balance, and you can definitely feel the ankle ligaments working overtime!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
tomiotomio said:
Is there any given wobble board model you would recommend in particular ?

Yeah, try the "plank and rolling pin" model as described above. (sorry... not very helpful).
Actually, I'm suffering from an ankle injury at the moment. I'm exercising it by just balancing on one leg. Sounds simple, but surprisingly hard to do for any significant amount of time. Same physiological principles are involved as for using a 'board... just a bit cheaper (!) ;)

I wouldn't have thought that there were any differences (apart from price, perhaps) between any of the models available. Surely they are all going to "perform" the same ? :(

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
try touching your toes.... or doing squats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts