Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 27 year old woman was subject to a "serious sexual assault" while taking an early morning run in Irchester Country Park.

We're all thinking of you whoever you are.

I hope that they catch the bastard and string him up by his bollocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
That is awful, very scary. I run at 6.30 in the morning along the river where it is very quiet and dark, but I go with my friend so we feel safe together. I wouldn't go that way on my own would feel too vunerable. My thoughts are with her too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
Yeah, that is terrible, and why I don't go for runs in the dark on my own through the parks and stuff. Even early in the morning when it's sunny in the summer it's kind of scary. Thankfully the majority of my route is really popular with runners, there's quite a few of them around at all times of the day, so I feel safer :)

I hope they find whoever did it and give him what he deserves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a man I don't feel the same vunerability but it makes me really angry. Why should you be scared to go out on your own at any time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
This is very bad. I hope they catch the scumbag and that the lady gets over it all as best as possible.
wounded knee said:
Why should you be scared to go out on your own at any time?
Because there are a lot of nasty people out there.

Seriously, it makes me quite angry the whole "I should be able to dress how I like" way of thinking. I agree; anyone should be able to walk through a park alone after dark. I should be able to leave my front door unlocked all night, I should be able to trust everyone I meet. Unfortunately this is the real world, where bad people exist who will harm you.

Sorry Wounded knee, not having a go at you. I know it was a sort of rhetorical question, that you were saying more, that anyone should be able to go out on their own at any time.

Rant over. Sorry.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason said:
This is very bad. I hope they catch the scumbag and that the lady gets over it all as best as possible.

Because there are a lot of nasty people out there.

Seriously, it makes me quite angry the whole "I should be able to dress how I like" way of thinking. I agree; anyone should be able to walk through a park alone after dark. I should be able to leave my front door unlocked all night, I should be able to trust everyone I meet. Unfortunately this is the real world, where bad people exist who will harm you.

Sorry Wounded knee, not having a go at you. I know it was a sort of rhetorical question, that you were saying more, that anyone should be able to go out on their own at any time.

Rant over. Sorry.:(
Well just because that's the way it is doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to change it does it? However futile you may think it is.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
It really does wind me up that this kind of thing happens, and sadly it does happen and will probably continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

What annoys me more is that more so many crimes nowadays the punishment is virtually non-existant. Punishments should be gruelling and 'unfair' to instill in people that commiting crime is simply unacceptable and won't be tolerated. Mugging etc that is punished with a few months in a 'prison' where criminals are given a roof over their head, activities to do and proper meals - hardly seems like a punishment to me!

I may be way off the mark with this as I've no experience with prison life - but that's certainly how prison has been portrayed to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
wounded knee said:
A 27 year old woman was subject to a "serious sexual assault" while taking an early morning run in Irchester Country Park.

We're all thinking of you whoever you are.

I hope that they catch the bastard and string him up by his bollocks.
Sounds like the attacker is someone with local knowledge and may have been spotted there previously ,maybe by other early morning runners or people out dog walking

Some one probably knows who it is , hope they come forward !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
Be safe out there boys and girls!
... AND REDUCE THE RISK BY NOT LISTENING TO MUSIC WHEN YOU RUN.
No, I'm not being a killjoy. I'm forever scaring people half to death as I pass them from behind when they're somewhere out on "Planet Rock" with their Mp3 player plugged into their lugs. How much easier would it be to take advantage of anyone in a situation like that?:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
This is the exact reason I will never go out running without my dog! I run off road alot on the Wiltshire downs where literally no-one would hear you scream! My dog is now nearly 9 and I'm seriously thinking about getting another puppy now so that when Poppy is to old to come out with me I'll have another running partner ready to fill her little paws!

It shouldn't have to be like this, I should be able to go out on my own and feel safe ... but I quite simply don't .... its a very sad state of affairs really isn't it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
SarahE said:
This is the exact reason I will never go out running without my dog! I run off road alot on the Wiltshire downs where literally no-one would hear you scream! My dog is now nearly 9 and I'm seriously thinking about getting another puppy now so that when Poppy is to old to come out with me I'll have another running partner ready to fill her little paws!

It shouldn't have to be like this, I should be able to go out on my own and feel safe ... but I quite simply don't .... its a very sad state of affairs really isn't it!

How far do you run with your dog? I have thought about getting a dog for the same reason.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
My sister often runs on her own and at times when it's dark. I often fear for her but we have to remember that crimes such as this are few and far between and their frequency are often misrepresented by the media. Generally speaking you're more likely to get hit by a moving vehicle when out running but that's no comfort to anybody who does feel vulnerable to attacks.

I really do hope they catch this scumbag and he get what he deserves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Hi Twinkle Toes,

At her prime Poppy (Welsh Springer Spaniel) could easily do 10 miles at a steady pace. She would go out with my husband then. She still loves to come out with us but 7 miles is about her max now. I'm always careful in the summer though, not to go out if its too hot for her. Fortunately the routes we take have the odd stream for her to cool down in. Having said this, she runs off the lead most of the time and often goes off chasing hares so she probably puts in an extra couple of miles by the end of the run anyway! :d I'd definately recommend taking a dog with you ... they're great company. You have to remember though that if you get a puppy they shouldn't run with you until they're a year old because it can hamper they're development .... and then just build up they're training gradually as you would do for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
SarahE said:
Hi Twinkle Toes,

At her prime Poppy (Welsh Springer Spaniel) could easily do 10 miles at a steady pace. She would go out with my husband then. She still loves to come out with us but 7 miles is about her max now. I'm always careful in the summer though, not to go out if its too hot for her. Fortunately the routes we take have the odd stream for her to cool down in. Having said this, she runs off the lead most of the time and often goes off chasing hares so she probably puts in an extra couple of miles by the end of the run anyway! :d I'd definately recommend taking a dog with you ... they're great company. You have to remember though that if you get a puppy they shouldn't run with you until they're a year old because it can hamper they're development .... and then just build up they're training gradually as you would do for yourself.

Crikey that is quite a distance I wasn't expecting that, but it is good for me.

Thanks very much

:d
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Crikey that is quite a distance I wasn't expecting that, but it is good for me.

Thanks very much

:d
springers are a working breed TT they like nothing more than working all day running about an d then just for fun will run some moreThey seldom tire .

Their fabulous dogs but some can be bonkers when they are young !!

Diving through glass windows as i have found to my cost!
Is there any update on the attacker?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top