Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's why it's always worth getting off your backside and getting out there even when it's snowing outside and you're feeling lazy.

I just ran the longest I've ever run - way past where I thought I would get to without stopping, and I've just worked out that it was 1.3 miles - my first ever mile :d I ran/walked back too, so a total of 2ish miles running.

I've also worked out just why I've been finding it such hard going on a treadmill - I did that 1.3 miles (2.1 km) in 17 minutes - about 7.4 kph. Very very slow, I know, but still running, just! I've been setting the treadmill at 8-8.5kph. No wonder it's been so much harder work :eek:

So a thoroughly worthwhile run, for several reasons, and to think I almost didn't go out...

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Trinity said:
nice pic Cheriton ;)
Yeah i bought it on ebay don't know who the guy is but he's better looking than me and about a minute a mile faster so i thought you'll do for me

And as no one knows me on here well what the hell!:embarrassed: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
cheriton said:
Yeah i bought it on ebay don't know who the guy is but he's better looking than me and about a minute a mile faster so i thought you'll do for me

And as no one knows me on here well what the hell!:embarrassed: :rolleyes:

....ROFL :d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. You have no idea how much you've helped me to get this far, especially over the last couple of weeks when I've really been struggling.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
Thanks guys. You have no idea how much you've helped me to get this far, especially over the last couple of weeks when I've really been struggling.
Your welcome we're all in this together bpdc!;) :d :) :cool:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
most people give up on week 2 or week 3 of any training plan...

after you've done those first few weeks pretty much nothing will stop you...

keep up the good work... !

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And just to add to the great feeling from yesterday's run, I got on the scales this morning to find I've lost a stone since January. I intend to spend today feeling very smug :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
ran your first mile lost a stone, there is no stopping you now, well done and keep it going. :d

·
Registered
506 Posts
Fantastic - and keep it up! Most people on here have experienced that early struggle of maintaining it in the face of what seems like adversity but it looks like you're coming through that now. I'll never forget my first year as I increased the mileage bit by bit each month, the challenge of seeing how far I could push myself and discovering all these new places whilst exercising. And the weight loss and feel-good side of it is the best. You can't stop now! You can't! Well done:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well done BPC you must feel great, now you have finished the 10 week program what are you doing? I am on week 10 now, just thinking of increasing a bit each week from next week and see how it goes. Went to the gym at the weekend, and I must have had a burst of energy last weekend when I did that 30 mins on the treadmill, cos I couldn't do it this week, Done 10 mins running walked a couple of minutes and then did another 10 mins but couldn't manage any more than that so went on the rowing machine and bike for twenty minutes. I did go on Saturday, and had run on Friday, so maybe that is why, I can see why a days rest in between runs is important. How are you getting on with your running times now? :d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Karen

I'm still working out what to do from now on. This last week, because I'd had such a bad week the week before, I decided to do the following:

Tuesday - run as long as I could on the treadmill (which was 10 mins) then do some interval training on the bike, for a bit of a change

Wednesday is my Tae Kwon Do day

Friday - the plan was to run 8 mins, then walk 3, then run 5 and walk 2 until I was too tired to carry on! I only managed 2 lots of 5 mins, but knew I could do a bit more (just not 5 mins at a stretch), so then I ran 3 mins and another 2 mins, each time with a 2 min walk break.

Sunday - my plan was to run as long as I could (I expected it to be about 10 mins again) then just run 3 mins/walk 1-2 until I'd done a total of 35ish mins. In fact, I ran for 17 mins as I said, so I just turned round and walked/ran back. I needed about 3 mins walk to recover from that first long run, but then I did another 3 lots of 3 mins, with walk breaks.

Now that I've realised I've been running too fast on the treadmill, and given the fact that I get so bored in the gym, I'm thinking of making those gym sessions into shorter interval training (say 3 mins/1 min), keeping at that faster speed and then just making my weekend run into a long slow one. I haven't quite worked out exactly what to do in the gym, though - I'm still working on it. :)

What are you planning to do?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not sure yet, I am on holiday from work this week but still got up at 6 to run with my friend, cos otherwise I would have gone to the gym and don't really enjoy running on the treadmill it is much more enjoyable outside. Planning on carrying on running three mornings a week outside and then do one session in the gym at the weekend, but not sure how long we will run for. Going to try increasing the running next week and just see what happens :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just wanted to poke in at some point to say it's soo sooo soooooo great that you guys have kept it at it, and has been mentioned elsewhere - don't think about the negatives! You can do anything you want to do :) So yeah very well done for your achievements so far, and the only way is up, so I shan't wish you good luck for the future, I'm sure you don't need it, but I hope you continue on and enjoy every second :d WOOP!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts