Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my marathon training schedule and see plenty of 10-13 milers on weekdays and got me wondering - how do you guys fit in these potentially 2 hour runs (at my pace they are!) in the evening around your work and life commitments???

I just wondered how everyone else does it and any tips to improve the way I do it.

Hope I don't sound like a whinger either :worried:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If week days are a probem, I would just do the really long runs on saturdays and sundays, and do more intervvals and speed runs during the week. I rarely do long runs on week days (8 miles maximum) unless it is nice and warm.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
My Marathon training was full of short runs during the week (Monday / Wednesday / Friday) and then the long runs were done on a Saturday or Sunday. Never had any long runs a weekday.
Check out the training schedule I posted in the training section. It was for the Edinburgh Marathon but would do for any marathon I would imagine :)

LINK HERE

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Like the others have said long runs at the weekend, shorter runs midweek :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guess it depends what else you need/want to do in the evenings? I'm home around 5:30... aim to get to bed at 10:30, so that's 5hours to run, cook, eat and tidy up. Usually I can find a bit of time to do anything else that needs sorting out too. Needless to say I'm virtually never sat around doing nothing... in fact I have about 30hours of TV recorded on Sky+ I need to catch up on! :s

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Bed by 10:30! I should really try that more often, Im lucky if Im in bed and asleep by 11:45!
But then again, I do spend a lot of time just messing about rather than actually doing anything constructive.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol... I did say AIM for bed at 10:30... normally it's gone 11 and probably closer to 12 by the time my mind has wound down enough to let me sleep!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I used this plan to train for my marathon. Its three days a week and the longest weekday runs is 10 miles, with another 3 week nights being 8milers. I added in a gym session at the weekend too.

I usally manage to be in bed between 1030 and 1100 every night - I don't tend to stay up too late, would much rather get up in the morning after a good nights sleep.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Beats sleeping in half the day! And definately beats waking up on a Sunday with a hangover.

I can occasionally be tempted to break my rule, especially after a couple of beers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts