Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially I thought it would be easy... work nights, train days... but it don't work like that due to a minor consideration... sleep

I work 3 nights a week 10pm til 6am, am a single parent to have 3 kids aged 10, 12 and almost 16 and also have a day job that I work from home (natural health therapist and sports therapist).

I only started night work in November, intended to help with the Christmas expenses but i've stayed on coz the extra cash is hard to let go of.

The trouble is I can't seem to keep a regular schedule going. I'm well down on my mileage...last week was the first time I hit 40 miles this year!

I have a marathon in 5 1/2 weeks with no time to catch up so I'll just see what I can do.

I've then got FLM in April and Copenhagen in May... so i'm gonna have to get my act together somehow...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trinity said:
Initially I thought it would be easy... work nights, train days... but it don't work like that due to a minor consideration... sleep

I work 3 nights a week 10pm til 6am, am a single parent to have 3 kids aged 10, 12 and almost 16 and also have a day job that I work from home (natural health therapist and sports therapist).

I only started night work in November, intended to help with the Christmas expenses but i've stayed on coz the extra cash is hard to let go of.

The trouble is I can't seem to keep a regular schedule going. I'm well down on my mileage...last week was the first time I hit 40 miles this year!

I have a marathon in 5 1/2 weeks with no time to catch up so I'll just see what I can do.

I've then got FLM in April and Copenhagen in May... so i'm gonna have to get my act together somehow...

Any ideas?
What nights of the week do you work and which and which days?

ive been on permanent nights for 12 years so I might be able to help

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for nights week 1 I do Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, week 2 I do Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Daytime work varies...it depends when clients book in...it's not every day though

·
Registered
67 Posts
Trin - week 1 must be tough. Do you sleep during the day at all? I do occasional night shifts as a bank nurse - I've just done monday and last night, and find if I do two nights I'm ok because I sleep all day in between the two and then get up at lunch time after the second one. I'm feeling knackered now after 4 and a bit hours sleep so will only do a short run and then swim later.

If I only do one night I feel terrible the next day so can't do much training.

I sympathise!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually I prefer week 1 coz I do cathch up on a certain amount of sleep, with having a night off in between. Week 2 is hard, especially if I have clients for my other job during the day, which invariable I do. The worst week I had was 57 waking hours with only 3 hours sleep!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jesssssus Trin anyway you can change to full time that would be better even if it means cutting down on your clients or try and get your nights together in a row

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goldbeetle said:
Jesssssus Trin anyway you can change to full time that would be better even if it means cutting down on your clients or try and get your nights together in a row

Thanks goldbeetle...but I can't change to full time for a number of reasons.. I get £8 per hour at night as opposed to £25 - £30 per hour during the day, they haven't got full time hours during the night, and most importantly I don't enjoy the work enough to want to do any more than 3 nights.

This is how my night - day goes when I'm on nights

9.30pm leave for work for a 10pm start
10pm - 6am work
6.20am get home and make kids packed lunches, then have some breakfast
doze til 8.30 and make sure kids get off to school ok
If i have a client at 10 then I'll just 'rest' and then sleep after lunch time...about 12.30/1pm
If i don't have a client i'll go to sleep at 8.45am
Sometimes I'll have a client in the afternoon about 2.
3.40pm kids get home from school, and I get up and run...how far depends on what after school activities the kids have that day, and therefore how much time I have.
5.30pm get the kids tea
Mondays I have to take my youngest to running club for 7. Tuesdays he goes to karate at 5, Wednesdays I take my daughter to scouts at 7.30.
Sometime after this I get some tea
Get ready and go to work.

Like I say though...on week 1 I get a break between nights so it's not so essential that I sleep for long during the day.
Week 2 is when I miss out on sleep and am like a bear with a sore head :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trinity - how about trying a new sleeping pattern - there is a method that I'm about to try called Polyphasic sleep - instead of needing to sleep for 8hrs at a time, you sleep for 20-30mins at a time, 6 times in a 24hr period. The guy who writes on the below website has been doing it for 3months and he has more energy than he's ever had before!

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like an interesting idea... not sure if it's do-able with kids around though. Also, it only gives you a max of 3 hours sleep a day...not sure I could survive with only that much. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it though

·
Registered
38 Posts
not sure I could survive with only that much
I think the idea is that with 3hrs sleep you are actually more rested than if you are sleeping 8hrs a night. Well I've nothing to lose. Except my sanity. Oh, I already lost that years ago.....

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine certainly is Debbo! I worked last night and feel right off key today... thankfully I'm not back in til Monday night now

·
Registered
110 Posts
NFRoadRunner said:
Trinity - how about trying a new sleeping pattern - there is a method that I'm about to try called Polyphasic sleep - instead of needing to sleep for 8hrs at a time, you sleep for 20-30mins at a time, 6 times in a 24hr period. The guy who writes on the below website has been doing it for 3months and he has more energy than he's ever had before!

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/
Did you try this pattern NFRoadRunner? Would be interesting to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i seem to remember hearing that we were originaly a species that slept twice a day, as in a night and a siesta. maybe a shorter sleep of 4 hours and a 30 min siesta might work? only a guess though .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work a rotating shift pattern of 2 days (7-4), 2 lates (3 - 12) and then 2 nights (10-7). I basically do not run between the two night shifts, but get up especially early after the second one to bring my body clock back to a semblance of normality. The hardest this is the first night shift, when I am at work, as I have often then been up for 24 hours, with a run done inside those hours.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I work from midnight to 6am and find that the best time for me to run is as soon as I get home.
I like to go to the local forest and feel it waking up around me and seeing the Sun coming up.
And I sleep from 2pm to 10pm (more or less).
I tried sleeping when I got home and running afterwards but I found that I never saw any daylight that way.
I also felt (very much!) like procrastinating after waking up whereas in the morning I feel like going out.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's interesting Fulmar... I work 10pm til 6am and when I get home I make the kids packed lunches and go to bed. I'm so tired though, I don't know if I could run without sleep. Maybe I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update...

I still haven't managed to summon up the energy to run when I get home from work in the morning, my body just wants to shut down.

I am starting to be a little more disciplined around sleep though, and find that I can run later in the day.

Except for days like today when I've just had 2 hours sleep because I had to be somewhere at 10 this morning. I've just got home and had some lunch and I really should be going to bed now...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts