Runners Forum banner

World Wide Half Marathon News

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Sparky 
#1 ·
Do you run with an ipod or mp3 player?

Have you listened to the Phedippidations podcast?

I think its absolutely brilliant - great inspiration, tips and laughs about running.

Listeners to the weekly Phedippidations podcast are joining in and ABSOLUTELY FREE worldwide half marathon on 7th or 8th October. See the website where you can join http://www.steverunner.com/halfmarathon.htm

I'm running my first attempt at a half Marathon by running the Henley Half on 8th October? Anyone else running that day?

#3 ·
I really think its the best one out there. Some of the other podcasts I listen to are: dump runners club, but it seems to be alot of local news about Colorado running
burningtwenty, but he's just a beginner runner
and there are a few triathalon ones that leave me in awe - SimplyStu and Endurance Radio Audio. Phedippidations is like having a friend to run with!
Regards, Drusy

#6 ·
Humber Bridge Half Marathon

:eek: Did anyone hear about someone stealing all of the water for the participants of the Humber Bridge Half Marathon in Hull (my home town originally)? Apparently, the organisers left the water out overnight (?!)at the various water stations and when they arrived the next morning it had all been nabbed! Well what do they expect really.

#14 ·
Yep I know the YPI building.

Usually go back to Hull 3 or 4 times a year to see family but there's never enough time to see everybody so it's just a mad rush from leaving Basingstoke after work to getting back on Sunday ready for work the next day. It's always interesting to visit the town centre - there's always some new building sprung up. The pace of life is definitely much slower I think - people are just in no rush but that's not a bad thing!

Moved away 10 years in December - my husband used to work for Kingston Communications but then got a job with Motorola so we decided to relocate. House prices were a bit of a shock though.

Weather's a nightmare down here at the moment - did a local 10K on Sunday (nearly collapsed) and 8 miler today in the middle of the afternoon. Not a good idea but training for a marathon in September so need to get some serious "hot weather" training in.

You training for anything in particular?

#15 ·
Hi,

I am doing a half in October, but not able to train too heavily at the moment as I am waiting to have an in-growing toenail removed (gross I know!!)... I am also recovering from an injured knee which prevented me from doing the FLM this yearl, but I have got an ill/injured place for next year so ultimately I am getting myself totally Ok before starting to train for that.... apart from that I am just doing the odd 5-10k 'race', and a few short training runs.....

Which marathon are you doing? is it the one in Nottingham?

#16 ·
I'm going to try to get a place in the FLM in August - did you get yours via the ballot or are you running for a charity?

I did some cross-country in December/January and a 10 miler in February, half in April. I did the British 10K in London this month which was pretty good (20,000 people) and also a couple more 10K's. I'm actually doing the New Forest marathon in September - supposed to be quite hill but well organised so I'm looking forward to that. Going to Mexico next week for 10 days so really takes a big chunk out of your training - plan to run on the beach as much as possible and anywere else I can find that's safe!

#17 ·
Hi, I actually got my place via the bequest ballot, where you agree to donate your entry fee regardless of whether you get in, they draw 1000 people from those people that do this..... I was v lucky, it was my first attempt, and I only agreed to donate the fee because I thought the fleece (that you got if you were unsuccessful) looked quite good....

Blimey, that is a lot of running...... I am really frustrated at the moment as I have had lots of opportunity to run, but my toe is just sooooo painful, and this on the back of having an injured knee has meant that I haven't been able to run regularly for ages....

The British 10k has had a lot of bad press hasn't it? I bet it will be v hot in Mexico......

#18 ·
After reading lots of bad reviews I was actually dreading the London 10K and did think about giving it a miss (I'd already spent £30.00 to enter) and it was going to cost another £40.00 train fare to get there but went anyway and I enjoyed it. Lots of the complaints were relating to running out of water at the stations but I didn't have that problem as I tried to get close to the front - saying that it still took me 30 minutes to get over the start line!! Too many slower runners though, you were forever dodging in and out all the time. But good to run with that many people - a real buzz.

I have a black toenail which is hanging off at the moment - looks really attractive but other than that I can't say I've had any injuries to speak of. I do weight training twice a week and think that this really helps with the running.

Mexico is actually cooler than the UK at the moment. Might be better off staying here . . .

#20 ·
I'm not a member of a club but would love to be I just don't have the time. I work part-time and train in the mid-afternoon generally (during the week) and club meets are always on evenings. I also go to the gym twice a week as well to do weights, so basically I only get one day off training per week - I just can't fit anything else in. It's a shame because there are some good friendly clubs around Basingstoke.

Are you a member then?

#21 ·
I am a member of a club, although I am never in any danger of being near the front of any races.... or even in the top half for that matter, although due to various niggling injuries I have been running with them for a while. I do look forward to finally being able to run with the club again, as I just enjoy running with a group more than being on my own....

It may be worth seeing about joinging a club, if only for the support network, i.e lifts to races, advice etc. and you will probably find that other people are also available to run during the day, and may know different routes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.