Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on doing any racing over the country this winter?
I'll be doing the usual leagues and championship races.:)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
There's a local cross country 10km thats part of my club's Grand Prix this year, and I'll probably do that.

I always wonder why people seem to do more cross country during the autumn/winter months? I've got a few cross country routes that I like doing year round, I think it helps keep the strength in my legs.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey Steepler,

Used to love X Country when I was younger, almost every saturday for county school meets and stuff. Not done any of it since back then but want to pick it up again. It's good fun. Any pointers of how best to get back into it? I'm filling in a registration form for a running club and I did tick X Country under interests :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Think I did some of this XC last winter - well, when I started out, I was walk-running through fields, splashing through rivers, and climbing over stiles!

Is there a difference between XC and trail running, or are they kind of the same?

There was a 10k near me which looked OK - until they said the 10k was only half of it, as at least 25% was running through rivers or over precarious rope bridges or jumping over other man made and natural obstacles - figured I wasn't quite ready for that yet :wacko:

Guess as winter sets in I will need some cross country races or something to keep my race appetite satisfied - brings back memories of running club at school!

BTW ED, it's time for Sunday Twilight Zone - what school did you go to in these parts?!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Steepler,

Used to love X Country when I was younger, almost every saturday for county school meets and stuff. Not done any of it since back then but want to pick it up again. It's good fun. Any pointers of how best to get back into it? I'm filling in a registration form for a running club and I did tick X Country under interests :)
What club do you run for and what region are you in?:cool:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
BTW ED, it's time for Sunday Twilight Zone - what school did you go to in these parts?!
:lol: - I'm guessing you'll know what I mean by 'Audy'. Not a bad school by all accounts... A bit too fond of rugby for my liking but had some real encouragement with my running there :)

Don't tell me you went to 'Edgy' or 'Twoey'? heh!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What club do you run for and what region are you in?:cool:
Well, none as yet :) Filling out registration for Bath AC - need to try and contact somebody there and see where it goes from there... Do you travel to a lot of X country events?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
:lol: - I'm guessing you'll know what I mean by 'Audy'. Not a bad school by all accounts... A bit too fond of rugby for my liking but had some real encouragement with my running there :)

Don't tell me you went to 'Edgy' or 'Twoey'? heh!

I'm an old Aldwinian lol, yes Audy was my school - hated Rugby too but I ran cross country a few times for the school - before I lapsed into errorful ways for the next 20 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm an old Aldwinian lol, yes Audy was my school - hated Rugby too but I ran cross country a few times for the school - before I lapsed into errorful ways for the next 20 years :rolleyes:
Wonder if there was any kind of overlap in the PE teachers we had :unsure:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Wonder if there was any kind of overlap in the PE teachers we had :unsure:
I only remember a chap called Ward? Had an english teacher by the name of sweetman, bit of a bully, he slimmed down at one point but just found a pic of him and he's put on about 40 stone :lol:

I think I am a bit older than you so wouldn't be surprised if half my teachers were retired or worse!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I only remember a chap called Ward? Had an english teacher by the name of sweetman, bit of a bully, he slimmed down at one point but just found a pic of him and he's put on about 40 stone :lol:

I think I am a bit older than you so wouldn't be surprised if half my teachers were retired or worse!
Both were still there, although Sweetman was involved in some kind of scandal not long after I left and ending in his dismissal :s

Ward was still there - didn't like me very much. It might be because he played rugby against my uncles who didn't like him very much either!

My uncles are all a bit older than u but I don't know about any of my cousins - surname Thorpe.

Did you know PE teacher Andy Trigg? I'm sure he came in the top 100 at the London Marathon one year, bit of a sicko :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'll be running my first XC season (since primary school) this Winter - I can't wait! :d

Local leagues and stuff I believe, our club was promoted to division one last year! (WHOOP!) so I guess this year is going to be against some bloody quick xc runners!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Both were still there, although Sweetman was involved in some kind of scandal not long after I left and ending in his dismissal :s

Ward was still there - didn't like me very much. It might be because he played rugby against my uncles who didn't like him very much either!

My uncles are all a bit older than u but I don't know about any of my cousins - surname Thorpe.

Did you know PE teacher Andy Trigg? I'm sure he came in the top 100 at the London Marathon one year, bit of a sicko :)
Trigg rings vague bells - heard a tale about him drinking his own urine in a pub, tho it may be somebody else.

I don't think Ward liked anyone very much!

Wish I knew more about that Sweetman scandal - must say it doesn't surprise me, the guy had this twisted way of befriending pupils and then slowly destroying their self esteem and confidence later - it happened to me, although I didn't really realise what had happened until much later. Wouldn't be surprised if he landed on his feet somewhere though.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I'll be running my first XC season (since primary school) this Winter - I can't wait! :d

Local leagues and stuff I believe, our club was promoted to division one last year! (WHOOP!) so I guess this year is going to be against some bloody quick xc runners!
as much as i enjoy running in the mud... thank god im slow :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
as mentioned at the club this evening (was a pleasure to meet you and the missus btw); Some might... I've no idea... not ran it since primary school! I'll be trying to get advice from some other forumites on what trainers are most suitable for these kinda races.

I've heard of a few makes, such as Inov8, but I honestly don't know which trainer is for which surface (trail, fell, xc etc?!?!). Hopefully some kind soul will point me in the right direction :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
as mentioned at the club this evening (was a pleasure to meet you and the missus btw); Some might... I've no idea... not ran it since primary school! I'll be trying to get advice from some other forumites on what trainers are most suitable for these kinda races.

I've heard of a few makes, such as Inov8, but I honestly don't know which trainer is for which surface (trail, fell, xc etc?!?!). Hopefully some kind soul will point me in the right direction :rolleyes:
nice to meet you aswell :).. hope you had a nice hill session

i guess it would depend on the conditions under foot... i cant see spikes working well when the ground is frozen etc..

i looked at some Inov8's when choosing my trail shoes.. they seamed very "boggy" big rubber stud type things which to me looked like they would either work really well or cripple your feet

a quick google image search reveals:

Trail Shoes

Fell Shoes

XC

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
x-country is normally 9mm spikes i think...

may get away with normally trainers sometimes but it depends on the conditions...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts