Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I set off on a quick tempo run and after getting heckled by some ultra-intelligent townie, this kid pulls alongside me on his bike, laughs, and speeds off. Only he doesn't quite disappear from my sight and we both start climbing a moderate but long hill. About half a mile later, he pulls over onto a patch of grass and gasps "how do you do it?" - leaving me feeling nice and smug :d (not that I'm immature or competitive).

Smugness didn't last long incidentally. After a couple of miles my pace dropped, my chest tightened and my legs turned to lead. With about 400 yards to go I thought 'screw this', sprinted home then propped myself against my garden gate, simulating what I can only describe as what I imagine an asthma attack to feel like. Not the most successful tempo run in the end then!

Still, taught the cocky kid a lesson.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I regularly catch bikes on climbs, though they soon come flying past on the downhills :((

haha... bloody fantastic that you caught that kid though! :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nice one Ed :lol:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations :)

I run? and cycle up the same climb near home and I actually run it faster. I think it is easy to keep the tempo up on my feet
D'oh! There I was thinking I was doing something impressive :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I agree with TT. It was impressive.

Up my hill I am not racing whereas he set out to beat you and couldn't hack it. To his shame.

I didn't mean to belittle your achievement, Sorry

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ha ha I feel slightly humbled by all the responses to this! Especially as my post was so churlish to begin with; I'd like to think I'm reasonably modest :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My dad did that many years ago... I remember running the kids race when I was really young - for some reason I had the most bizarre pacing tactic for that race, I'd sprint as far/hard as I could, then stop... get into the sprinters starting stance (on all fours) then sprint off again, and repeated it all the way round :lol: I remember my theory was that although some people passed me, I passed lots of people while I was sprinting. Maybe I should suggest it to Dan Robinson? lol!

My have to try that race the train event... looks like fun!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Why does that not surprise me :d Have you ever done the race the train in Porthmadog?
No... I've done a 'Race the Train' in Croatia... it was one of those mini open sided trains that took holiday makers from one side of a resort to another... Rich and I raced (and beat!) it :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts