Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as the title says, I'm yet another newbie to both the site and running.

I've just given up smoking (again!) and have decided to go for it and take up running. I'm pretty damn unfit, but I've set myself a goal of running the Nike 10K this year and not coming last :eek:

Any help and advice would be more than welcome, I'm currently using the beginners 5K training program off the Nike website, but if anyone has any better suggestions, fire away!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your training and the giving up smoking....

If this helps any running helped me give up smoking, as I got better at it I could see the smoking would get in the way of my running and improving, I have not looked back since especially whilst running as I may fall over.... :d

·
Registered
335 Posts
i've never smoked so cant comment on that but all the best for keeping off them! Oh and ive never run Yet so i cant comment on that either lol, but all the best with that too, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Graeme. I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago,and I`m sure that the fact that I started running at the same time kept me off the weed.

Just be warned that if you are anything like me you will just be swapping one addiction for another.

Best of luck. Dave.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
telmadee said:
i've never smoked so cant comment on that but all the best for keeping off them! Oh and ive never run Yet so i cant comment on that either lol, but all the best with that too, and welcome to the forum

Come on telmadee, get yourself a pair of shoes you won't look back :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Welcome Graeme. I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago,and I`m sure that the fact that I started running at the same time kept me off the weed.

Just be warned that if you are anything like me you will just be swapping one addiction for another.

Best of luck. Dave.
What did you swap your cross dressing addiction with.... ;)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hi Graeme,
Welcome from old Runningfox, and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. I stopped 31 years ago, one of my better decisions in life, and never regretted it. A lot of youngsters start smoking thinking it's the macho thing to do and find out too late, when they're hooked, how terribly wrong they were. So far as I'm concerned it's more macho to have the will power and mental stability to resist such temptations.
How long have you got before the Nike 10K? With a few £'s from the money you've saved on cigarettes you could invest in Bob Glover's book - The Competitive Runner's Handbook - that will tell you virtually all you need to know about managing your running and racing. Not to mention stretching and injury prevention.
Secondly, I'd advise you to join a club. Running with others will help keep you motivated. Most clubs cater for runners of all abilities so you'll soon slot into one of the groups. Also, they'll advise you about such things as local running shops and what type of shoes to wear.
Good luck with your training. At age 55 it took me five months starting from scratch to running my first 10K - a very hilly one which I completed in 43.09 and finished 165th from 246 starters. You're a heck of a sight younger than me and there's no way you're going to finish last in that Nike 10K with the right determination. Think positive. Aim high.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome Graeme,

Runningfox has beaten me to it....my advice is join a running club!
Aim high but take your time too...don't do too much too soon. Your body needs to readjust. The last thing you want to do is pick up an injury in these early days which then puts you off running.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
...and all because Bagpuss referred to entering a Ladies only race many moons ago!!:d
Exactly Steve. I`m innocent of all charges,and this is all Lyn`s fault.......:mad:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Exactly Steve. I`m innocent of all charges,and this is all Lyn`s fault.......:mad:
Do you know I have been over the original thread and it looks to me that Steve was more into this cross dressing then you Dave and to be quite honest he was giving Lyn (Bagpuss) ideas on what he should wear, so I think we should be laying blame elsewhere... :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Do you know I have been over the original thread and it looks to me that Steve was more into this cross dressing then you Dave and to be quite honest he was giving Lyn (Bagpuss) ideas on what he should wear, so I think we should be laying blame elsewhere... :p
AT LAST....................:d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
telmadee said:
I've never run yet
For the length of time you've been posting on this forum I thought you might have felt inspired to slip into some fast shoes and hare off into the distance, leaving poor old Meg floundering along behind you!
Talking of Meg, and just out of interest, how's he doing with his training for the Sheffield half? Haven't heard anything about the poor lad for quite some time - unless there's some coded message in that funny word game!
Come on Dawn, get those running shoes on, breathe in that good Yorkshire air, feel the adrenalin and the blood pumping, live the dream.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Runningfox said:
For the length of time you've been posting on this forum I thought you might have felt inspired to slip into some fast shoes and hare off into the distance, leaving poor old Meg floundering along behind you!
Talking of Meg, and just out of interest, how's he doing with his training for the Sheffield half? Haven't heard anything about the poor lad for quite some time - unless there's some coded message in that funny word game!
Come on Dawn, get those running shoes on, breathe in that good Yorkshire air, feel the adrenalin and the blood pumping, live the dream.
Cheers!
I agree Foxy.

It`s time for you to go for it Dawn.

I`m sure you would`t regret it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
Don't believe a word of it, he's pulling the dress over your eyes !! :asleep:
don`t you ******* Start..................;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts