Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday we had our speedwork session at the local park......I couldn't do the sprints myself but as usual set the session for the others.

We were at the park for about 40 mins...having jogged there first as a warm up...and the entire time a girl of I'd guess no more than 13 ran around the park on her own continuously. She was obviously there by herself and ran without headphones plugged in.

Dedication rarely seen around these parts.

A contender for 2012 perhaps!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Steve said:
Last Thursday we had our speedwork session at the local park......I couldn't do the sprints myself but as usual set the session for the others. We were at the park for about 40 mins...having jogged there first as a warm up...and the entire time a girl of I'd guess no more than 13 ran around the park on her own continuously. She was obviously there by herself and ran without headphones plugged in. Dedication rarely seen around these parts. A contender for 2012 perhaps!
I'm sure there are scores of youngsters up and down the country who have the talent to qualify for 2012 if only they knew it and if only they could be 'discovered'. Even a lot of teenagers who've gone 'off-the-rails' might surprise themselves at what they might achieve if they'd focus their aggression on more athletic pursuits.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Kids have an immense amount of untapped energy.

When my kids were younger, my two boys, particularly the youngest, Daniel, would wind each other up so much. A lot of the time it was due to an excess of pent up energy, so when it got too much I would send them out to run round and round the garden a particular number of times, depending on how bad was getting. If the weather was bad I would make them run up and down the stairs instead...

wicked mother aren't I :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I really feel for the young kids today, especially those who sport is the one thing they thrive in, those that dont quite reach those curriculum average standards in class that the government sets.

Now in schools around essex we dont have sports day like it used to be, why? because if someone isnt that good it helps prevent any competitiveness/bulling amongst these kids supposodly!!!

Sports day now consists of a field with a number of bat ball games that you take turn in. So what a shame to those kids that wait all year to have there time to shine at what there good at. We should be teaching them to be competitive, thats what lifes all about, when you get out into the big bad world isnt it?

What effect does this in schools now have on our young up coming british athletes. Not enough i think, help and encouragment in this area is slack for real young ones and getting rid of our old fashioned sports day hasnt helped.
Im sure you can all remeber egg spoon race, father daughter race and the good old relay, this will not help these inspiring young athletes to reach there goal.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
hayley1977 said:
I really feel for the young kids today, especially those who sport is the one thing they thrive in, those that dont quite reach those curriculum average standards in class that the government sets.

Now in schools around essex we dont have sports day like it used to be, why? because if someone isnt that good it helps prevent any competitiveness/bulling amongst these kids supposodly!!!

Sports day now consists of a field with a number of bat ball games that you take turn in. So what a shame to those kids that wait all year to have there time to shine at what there good at. We should be teaching them to be competitive, thats what lifes all about, when you get out into the big bad world isnt it?

What effect does this in schools now have on our young up coming british athletes. Not enough i think, help and encouragment in this area is slack for real young ones and getting rid of our old fashioned sports day hasnt helped.
Im sure you can all remeber egg spoon race, father daughter race and the good old relay, this will not help these inspiring young athletes to reach there goal.
This seems to be a recurring subject in the media at the moment. Just how extensive has the "no sports day/no competitive sports" regime become? Is this a nationwide thing, or a regional thing? How many forum members have come across instances of this kind of attitude towards sport in their area?
I remember that the 1500m at our school sports day used to be COMPULSORY for the youngest year at the school (13/14 year-olds)! :eek: There were about 120 runners in that race! Chaos.:rolleyes: But then, I think that this was the last time that the rule was enforced. Looking back, it did seem a little hard on the non-athletic members of the school community, for whom sports days must've been something of a trauma. :( But I think that there was a basic acceptance that everybody was different, and I don't think that anyone was actually bullied for standing out as being incapable of running that race (I seem to remember a great many of the pupils walked the whole distance of that 1500m as an act of defiance anyway).

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I remember the 3000m at sports day... It required 2 pupils from each house (4 houses) from each of the top 2 years. I was the only one to willingly take part! I was virtually guaranteed a victory on the basis that nobody else wanted to be there! Managed a school record though in a not so impressive 00:10:30'ish though I'm always quick to add that I never trained back then :p

<rant>

It ceases to amaze me today how in a world of convinience foods and growing levels of obesity that anyone could even entertain the idea of discouraging sports in a pathetic attempt to be PC! I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that cross-country at school nowadays is optional?? Jeez! There also seems to be a growing belief amongst those extremely overweight that it's not their fault?!? Are they force fed or something? There was that program about the half tonne mum on TV the other day, amidst the story of this 64stone mum there were stats such as over 2million in the US are over 40stone?! And that increasing numbers of people see gastric bypass surgery as the only method of recovery?! Argh!!!!

It annoys me to think we're discouraging sportsday so as to not exclude those who aren't very good at sports, what's next? No academic qualifications because it's unfair on those less intellectual? I very much doubt it!

</rant over>

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Im glad some of you understand where im coming from on this !!!!!!
I hope it doesnt stay this way for all those young kids in school. H

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
JBBury said:
You don't think 10.30 for a 3000k is impressive? That's pretty damn fast.
Admitedly there's not way I could do that sort of time now! but not impressive compared to what I imagine most school 3000m records would be... I think I was around the 10st mark then - that certainly made running a lot easier! :asleep:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
converging threads...

richardsimkiss said:
<rant>

It (never) ceases to amaze me today how in a world of convinience foods and growing levels of obesity that anyone could even entertain the idea of discouraging sports in a pathetic attempt to be PC! I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that cross-country at school nowadays is optional?? Jeez! There also seems to be a growing belief amongst those extremely overweight that it's not their fault?!? Are they force fed or something? There was that program about the half tonne mum on TV the other day, amidst the story of this 64stone mum there were stats such as over 2million in the US are over 40stone?! And that increasing numbers of people see gastric bypass surgery as the only method of recovery?! Argh!!!!

It annoys me to think we're discouraging sportsday so as to not exclude those who aren't very good at sports, what's next? No academic qualifications because it's unfair on those less intellectual? I very much doubt it!

</rant over>
:rolleyes:
As a matter of interest, this thread is heading in the same direction as the "80's Running Boom" thread.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Too true. And once again I find myself whinging about the yoof of today, without even getting my pipe and slippers :(

That is an awesome 3k time, Richardsimkiss :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sports Days

This thought has just occurred to me: we hear so much about OFSTED reports/education standards and targets... Do teachers have; or are they allowed the time which is needed to organize sports days?

Conversely, is the pervading sense of apathy amongst the kids with regard to sports, merely translating into teachers' disinclination to organize these events? Why bother to organize it when only a handful of people want to take part?

I'm not sure; maybe I'm seeing things as being bleaker than they really are. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It could be; to be honest, it's been so long since I've seen a school sports day, I only have the papers' side of the story :p Surely they've never been 100% popular?

Anyway I still think that the way running's popularity is increasing can only be a good thing :cool: We just have to fix our country's cake and pie addiction, is all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Katten said:
It could be; to be honest, it's been so long since I've seen a school sports day, I only have the papers' side of the story :p Surely they've never been 100% popular?

Anyway I still think that the way running's popularity is increasing can only be a good thing :cool: We just have to fix our country's cake and pie addiction, is all :rolleyes:
Does the current popularity of running cover every age group? I get the feeling that the majority of people taking up this activity are well into adulthood. I only hope that the influence filters down towards the younger population: kids with a "fuller" store of potential perhaps? :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts