Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hammerite's mention of a trout for all finishers in the Wincle Trout Race got me thinking... what's your favourite race freebie?

I got a great flask from a race in Northumberland and also the free beer, pickled onion, sandwiches and tripe (optional:)) at the Blaydon race in Newcastle are a welcome feast on a summers night.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
In the 1st Chance 10k 2005 I got an engraved glass with a bottle of non alcoholic wine type herbal drink (because I don't drink)...which was very nice.

At the Copenhagen marathon 2004 every lady was given a real red rose, as well as the medal and stuff, on account of there being a royal wedding the same weekend.

At the Duchy marathon in a little over 5 weeks time we get a pasty at the finish...and mine will be a vegetarian one :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've never had anything really unusual. Although I did a trail race on Boxing Day and the memento was a bottle of beer specially produced by a local brewery called "Bosing Day Run".

It was very nice too, thankfully it didn't give me the Boxing Day runs though which many of these strange brews can!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did quite like the beer that was in the goodie bag at the end of the London Tri last year. OK so it was only Michelob but hey it's a good thing at the end....

Meanwhile I guess I could also start a thread on least favorite trinket...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I got a brick medal at a 1/2 marathon years ago.
Use it as a paperweight it is that heavy!
Technical t shirts are always nice too! Cotton ones are cheap to produce and devalue races these days!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I know some people go on about medals being boring etc, but some of the medals I've got are rather nice. The one I got at Rome Marathon last year is lovely, really heavy too. At the same race they gave us a rucksack with the race logo on, which I take to every race now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Loch Ness marathon tshirt - it's got a clever picture of a running shoe lace looking like the monster.

A rucksack from the Edinburgh NYD tri this year.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Got a jelly and some bananas at one race years ago!
There was a race in the USA where you win your weight in Salmon if you are first!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
debbo said:
Loch Ness marathon tshirt - it's got a clever picture of a running shoe lace looking like the monster.

A rucksack from the Edinburgh NYD tri this year.
Got a jelly and some bananas at one race years ago!
There was a race in the USA where you win your weight in Salmon if you are first!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i like mugs as they remind you of the race everytime you have a cuppa. t-shirts are great if they are a decent quality and don't go baggy, as i never wear anything else. useful items are shoe bags,, great for my walshes after xc,and a velcro wrist purse.
the worst item i ever got was an ashtray (i think) as a 2nd vet prize.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
In the Tain Highland Games they give a bottle of whisky to each of the winners :)
After completing a race in Portugal, while gasping for air, one of the race officials asked "Red or White?" I looked up at him not knowing what he meant but said "Red" and he immediately produced a bottle of red wine :d (and there was a bottle for each of the finishers).

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've come away from races with some strange stuff... :d
... Garden furniture, a lawnmower, set of fog lamps, can of motor oil, sun roof, car stereo, barbecue, crate of beer, restaurant meals, concert tickets, duvet, shaver, tumble dryer...
... cuddly toy... and loads more I can't recall at the moment. :huh:
... All true; apart from the cuddly toy! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts