Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)
thinking very seriously about running my first marathon in October.
Would you like to share some of your impressions/feelings about your first? Or other marathons you've run?
I have never run more than 16.5 miles and have no idea what adding almost 10 more to it at a good pace can do...

:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bloody difficult, or so I've found. I think it was due to poor training though!

I'm also a beginner at marathons. First marathon I can't remember anything from 17-24 miles! Also 2hrs at halfway, 4h 24 finished.

Second marathon was a lot better but I actually started struggling earlier, but I think held it together quite a bit better. Halfway 1h 45, finish 3h 51

·
Registered
419 Posts
First marathon 4:20ish 2 for the first half, then the second half got longer...
Second 3:43 - 1:48 and 1:55....
Third 4:42 - 2 and 2:42 (this was in Brazil and very very warm!)
Fourth 3:46 - 1:51 and 1:55

I will do negative splits one day....

For me, the big thing about a first marathon (especially if it is a big city one like London, New York or Paris) is just experiencing it - don't overstress about making a time - aim to survive and enjoy it. Also don't feel rushed into entering your first one - take your time learning how to race 5k, 10k, and half marathons first. But this is advice I give rather than advice I take - FLM was pretty much my first race and I was dead focussed on sub-4...

·
Registered
220 Posts
First (and only so far) mara was FLM06. Was hoping for sub-4, got to half way in 1:58, was bang on target until mile 19 and then lost 10 minutes in 3 miles. Finished in 4:17. I loved every minute of it, even miles 19-22 when I was barely faster than the walkers and it felt like it would take days to finish. Got a second wind at mile 22 and really focussed on getting to the line.
To be honest I don't think the last few miles are the hardest. I reckon if you get to mile 22 in reasonable shape then you're laughing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran my first marathon in 3:11:53. It was agony!
I have since done another 7 and am in training for my next one in October.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for your feedback.

I am thinking about a negative split but I guess the big danger is that in the beginning it will feel very slow and manageable and one feels like going faster...
Is that how you all felt?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fulmar, you're right in that if you have trained properly the first half feels very very easy. I know it did for me - at 13 miles I felt I could run forever. 6 miles later I wasn't so cocky anymore...

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
admin, I am thinking of doing the Poznan Marathon, in Poland, on the 15th of October.
But after yesterday's long, tiring run I had second thoughts :embarrassed:
Not giving up though.

Are you thinking of running one then too? :)

PS: the website for that marathon - http://www.marathon.poznan.pl/

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
How's the training going Fulmar?

My 1st was London '96...trained well, with other half but on day it was incredibly hot and we suffered badly. We prefer cool weather. Didn't stop us running more though. Had the same heat problem last year in Prague.

London is best event by far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have my first marathon in November (NY) and having given myself shin splints and also now have knee problems, reading all these messages are not helping.

I do know its gonna be hard but trying not to worry tooo much :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I suffer from these problems too when marathon training...I think a lot of us do. Just hang on in there....slow down, stop and stretch/massage aches if need be.
NY will be a great experience so the main thing is to get round and enjoy the day!
All the best Sheralie

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
After just 15 months of running my first marathon was the 'Pennine' which started from Waterloo Rugby club in Huddersfield. It was in July on an exceedingly hot day with very high humidity. Plus, the course included around 2,000ft of ascent and was regarded as one of the toughest in the book. Of the 471 starters in that race 58 failed to finish.
Ron Hill was an honoured guest that day and I ran along side him for the first ten miles which he was treating as a training session, and where he dropped out. I carried on to finish in 3.30.04. After a wonderful soak in a hot tub (well, it was a rugby club!) all I wanted to do was get home but my sister persuaded me to stay for the prize-giving.
I couldn't believe it when they shouted my name out as winner of the MV55 category. Ron Hill was presenting the prizes. "We meet again" he said, sticking a tin pot in my hand, and a voucher that covered the cost of my next pair of shoes.
It was a memorable day!

·
Registered
34 Posts
First marathon

Like Greg, I have only done one - FLM 2005 but it was magic. I was a total novice, didn't have a clue really but got round in 5:28. I found from mile 23 onwards it was fantastic. But I was pretty steady all the way and loved pretty much all of it!
love
Marathon Mumx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts