Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of guys in there early twenties at my club who are thinking about doing a marathon. My advice to them was to concentrate on the short stuff whilst they are still making progress with their speed work and leave a marathon for a few years yet.

Is this sound advice? I was 32 when I did my first marathon after at least 10 years of regular road running.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i would agree with you to a large extent, but it depends on their abilities. some of us make better marathon runners than 10k' ers. their biggest danger of getting into long distance will be the cumulative affect over the years. i know of 3 excellent marathon runners who had to quit in their early 40's due to knee problems from too much milage.
i have a theory that there are only so many miles of running in your knees before they pack in - don't use them all up too soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you enlighten me what marathons are in november time? Am considering one around there. I am a squaddie making a comeback to running. Although fit, i havent raced for some years. Got a 10 miler week sunday 21st. If youre a lady you can run with me and live in essex area????:)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
:) Hi guys!
Never raced longer than half-marathons but have been quite consistent with finishing times and have learnt to pace myself.

A couple of days ago I started thinking about running my first marathon next Autumn. I am living in Scotland at the moment.

Is the Dublin marathon favourable for good times?
Is there any "small" marathon in Britain around that time of year (October-November)?

I would like to find a not-too-hilly course and a race where you wouldn't get huge crouds running.

Thank you

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fulmar said:
:) Hi guys!
Never raced longer than half-marathons but have been quite consistent with finishing times and have learnt to pace myself.

A couple of days ago I started thinking about running my first marathon next Autumn. I am living in Scotland at the moment.

Is the Dublin marathon favourable for good times?
Is there any "small" marathon in Britain around that time of year (October-November)?

I would like to find a not-too-hilly course and a race where you wouldn't get huge crouds running.

Thank you
Fulmar, I'd imagine Dublin would be quite busy being a city marathon. One which is highly recommended (although I've never done it) is Abingdon, quite flat, a decent field, good support but not massive. Trouble is it's quite a treck from Scotland, but no worse than Dublin.

I believe Cardiff is a flat fast course, but again will probably be crowded like Dublin. Also someone mentioned Luton marathon which I think is quite a small race, I don't think it's ever so flat though, I believe Easyjet fly straight into Luton from Glasgow and Edinburgh too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The obvious one in Scotland is Loch Ness on 1 October. Undulating rather than hilly (allegedly), stunning scenery, and 200 runners so hardly congested.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I had a look in their websites and the Loch Ness one, despite the fact that it's quite near, doesn't have many people around my goal time.
The Abingdon one seems quite good for this - to get company for the race.

Still a few months to go :) And a decision to make :)

Bye for now ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Get a cheap flight to Amsterdam mate.
Excellent race and if you want you have all the 'relaxation' you can take after the race!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Here It Comes!!!!

Hi :)
At last!
I will run my first marathon next Sunday.
It took two weeks of increasing mileage and then a training plan of 12 weeks which will end in the 3rd Porto Marathon.
Travelling up tomorrow and spending the night there.

Training went well, with some lower moments but never bad.
I am only afraid of a 6 year old tendon-injury which tends to say "Here I am!" after about 2 hours' running.

The goal is to go under 3 hours.
Not feeling totally confident but going for it. Aiming for 1h27'/1h28' at halfway.

See you on Sunday :d

J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts