Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often on club training runs I will do my own thing for a period of time and then will run back to the slowest runner(s). I then spend some time doing essentially a fartlek session to and from the slowest runner(s) before completing the last part of the club run, perhaps a good 2 miles, with the slowest runner(s) thereby allowing the person/people who had been running with the slowest runner to run at their own pace for a while.

Would this annoy you if you were the slowest runner? Would you just think I was showing off? Would you just be happy that a faster runner was happy to run with you?

BE WARNED...YOUR REPLIES MAY EFFECT MY CLUB RUNS IN THE FUTURE!!:d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i've done similar with a group before who ran out.. round a loop & back, i'd head off the front at the loop and do two loops.. before catching the & running with the tailenders on the return leg.

i guess it might feel a bit strange to a newcomer to the club, but if you all know each other and its done in the right spirit. no problems.

some may say i suppose that a social club run isnt the place to be doing any more than a recovery run and you should stick together in one or a few groups.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Im not a runner YET, but i think that is fantastic, Meg wont join a running club as he doesnt want to feel a burden to anyone 'having' to lag behind for him, and i keep telling him that there has been a lot of feedback from here etc and that peopel dont feel like that and some people like to see the enjoyment the new person has, so i think good on ya and keep it up! :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm not a member of a club Steve,but can't see why anyone would have a problem with that at all.I'm sure that It would only serve to raise the other members personal goals in such a situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not a member of a club yet because I know I would be the one at the back on a club run. I would be really grateful though, if a faster runner plodded along next to me for a bit. If I was left there on my own, I would probably take a short cut back to my house!!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
In club runs it's most important to have a 'sweeper' to shepherd, advise and encourage slower runners - and this was always the norm on occasions I ran with a group. This is one reason new runners are advised to join a local club. They'll learn about technique, injury prevention, pacing, etc.. far quicker than from books, forums, or whatever. Also, running with others in a social group helps keep one motivated.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I am also not in a club and would not be in the least bit offended by what you suggest, after all, it's what we do when we take the motorbikes out for a spin, saves the slow lad at the bck getting lost, disheartened !!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steve, this is exactly what happens at my club. If organised prior to the run, the faster runners take turns to loop back and take a shot bringing up the rear. Like you say it acts as a good fartlek session.
Having said that, we sometimes split into three groups, faster, not as fast and a not so fast group and we select a couple of people to be the front and back markers for their specific group. Again the looping back can be done within these groups also, giving the front and back markers a damn good fartlek session for their specific speeds.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

I had thought other clubs would do similar things but wanted to know what those at the back of the training field felt about it. It is of course done in the right spirit and helps, I think, to create a proper club atmosphere and prevents a "them and us" attitude. I think it can also help the slower runners as, in my experience, when they run with me they seem to pick up their pace a little bit thereby doing better than they may otherwise have done.

Telmadee,

Whenever we have someone new join us I always make a point of running with them on the first 2/3 runs to make them feel welcome and as a matter of courtesy. I expect that would be true of a runner at a club near you so your other half shouldn't worry about being the new boy in class!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Steve said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Telmadee,

Whenever we have someone new join us I always make a point of running with them on the first 2/3 runs to make them feel welcome and as a matter of courtesy. I expect that would be true of a runner at a club near you so your other half shouldn't worry about being the new boy in class!

what it is Steve, we know one of the dads at nursery (a fireman and established runner) and he said Meg shoudl get more established first cos it wouldnt be fair on people having to lag behind to look after meg, so it put Meg off joining, I even looked on a link for runners in our area, to see if I could get Meg to run with someone and there was a woman who lives near to us who isnt established and cant run fast yet and wanted someone who liek herself wasnt confident etc so i asked meg to contact her tohelp each other (her name is Dawn too so he wouldnt even have to forget her name lol) but he still said no. *tuts* men.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Actually, I'm sort of with Meg here. I've not 'yet' joined a club because I know that I'm slow. Having a faster runner run with me for bits and pieces is something I could appreciate. Having a faster runner run the whole way with me would embarrass me to bits, and probably push me too hard, because I'd try to run faster than I really can.

Essentially though, it's very much down to the personalities involved, Steve. Done sensitively, I think your method must work quite well. I'm one the the least sociable people I know, and I think that your method would not put me off or intimidate me too much. But it would be down to how well I get on with you when meeting you for real (or then the person represented by you when I might one day join a club). That will be when I can run far enough and fast enough.

PS. I'm doing a lot of hard interval training now, so hopefully my speed will start to improve soon.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that personalities play an important role and you have to be able to get on, chat a bit and have a laugh. I appreciate that we all need a helping hand and
encouragement...after all we all had to start from scratch at some time or other...and running with others is not only good for them but also for me.

Dawn,
Sounds as if you need to find a large boot to give Meg a kick with!!

Karen,
What intervals are you doing?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Steve said:
Karen,
What intervals are you doing?
Hi Steve,

I'm now running 5 times per week. Three of these are at my local gym, on the treadmill, and include the interval training. So I do a warm-up run for 10 minutes at 8.0kph, then I do intervals of 400 metres at 11.0kph followed by a recovery of 200 metres at 8.0kph. I repeat these intervals 6 times. So I do 5km in total, in about 32 minutes. To be honest, the 8.0kph is uncomfortably slow, but is what my personal trainer has recommended for the moment.

My other two runs are outside, and are both easy, long runs lasting about 45 minutes. I feel I could actually run much further on these long runs, but continue to make sure that I don't over-exert myself. I aim to increase these long runs by 5 minutes per week. So next week 50 minutes.

Anyway, what I want to know is: why is treadmill running so much more exhausting than running outside (even without the interval training)?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karen said:
Hi Steve,

Anyway, what I want to know is: why is treadmill running so much more exhausting than running outside (even without the interval training)?
Good question...there's bound to be a technical answer someone can give but it may be due to the fact that when you run outside you can change your pace, you can go down hill and the fresh air keeps you cooler than the environment of a gym.

Keep up the good work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts