Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sitting here at work thinking about tonights run and I can't decide what route to do.
How do you all decided what your going to run?
Do you make a months worth of routes and distances and take it from there or do you just go out and run and see where the road takes you?

O.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I tend to just think about what I've done over the last few days. I'm not very structured but if for example I did two fast runs then I may do a long slow run. Or if I realise I haven't done any hill-work for a while, I'll try and do that.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
That's easy... I look at my schedule to see what I have to do and match it to the closest route for the mileage and/or type of run

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
My usual schedule is speedwork on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday and long run on Sunday.

I follow the club schedule as far as speedwork goes, tempos are usually 5-6 miles and the long runs are 8-10miles. I'll do more or less depending on how tired I'm feeling.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
At the moment I aim for a minimum of 5k but if I feel good I do more.

If I have been a bad boy I punish myself by turning right out of the estate where I can't avoid the hills. Been doing that a lot lately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have recently started being more scheduled with my running and plan at the start of the week what runs I'll do on which days- ie a bit of speedwork one day, a long run on a Sunday. I have worked out various routes of differernt lengths on mapmyrun.com, so I choose my route according to what I'm doing that day.

I'm starting a 'proper' training plan soon, using Runnersworld smartcoach, and I reckon I'll pretty much try and follow that ridgedly.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What started out as a very simple plan (increasing mileage no more than 10% a week) has turned into a huge spreadsheet where I work out all sorts of things to monitor progress....

I try and run every other day doing two/three medium runs of a length I can run in three run/walk intervals or less then 'the next one up' (based on mapmyrun distances) at the weekend. I worked out lots of routes on mapmyrun to cover a lot of distances, differing by about a km each.

Ultimately though, it comes down to how I feel on the night!

·
Registered
511 Posts
At the moment I'm following a schedule for a 1/2 in September. As its going to be my first :'( I'm trying to stick to the schedule as close as I can, although have amended the distance up slightly on the weekend LSR's as I came in to it a bit ahead of the starting point mileage so hopefully by doing that little bit extra on the long runs each week will hold me in good stead for the run itself.

Having a bit of a problem this week though as due to school hols, myself and Mrs SR are playing tag at the door with the kids, so can't get out for a run till gone 10 at night when she gets in from work. Couple this with having to be up at 5 in the morning to do the early start sort of precludes me from feeling in the right frame of mind to go for a run, so have re-jigged schedule a bit this week and will just do the one on Weds night.

For plotting my routes I generally jump on to mapmyrun before going out and try and plot one closest to my expected mileage for the session. I'm quite lucky as so far there seems to be a fair variety of smaller country roads I can use to vary both the route and length of my runs, so am yet to get bored by repetition.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really need to try and get to a running club I think, still not heard anything back from the other local one Ive found. Will drop them a call today I think.
For those of you with schedules, if you have made them up yourself, how did you do that? Just now I don't really have a race to train for, I am still thinking about the 10k in September.

I like the idea of a spreadsheet with what I should be running as this would make me stick to it, just now, like last night, I went out and just decided at the time I was going to take on "The Hill" which was good but I got back within 30 ish mins and felt I should have done more.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I run according to my schedule at the moment and dependant on whether I am running on my own or with someone decides the route, bit like a mystery tour ha ha

If you don't have any structure at the moment why don't you follow the first 3 -4 weeks of a half marathon or 10k schedule and just keep doing it, but don't always do the speed work because you should have a bit of recuperation period and this will re-energize your leggys for your next race schedule.

TT :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
DO IT DO IT ha ha :lol:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm planning on intorducing some speedwork into my sessions tonight to try and improve my pace but I cross train as well and try and increase my long runs by about a mile a week - I'm trying to build up to 13.1 miles

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Speadsheeeeeeeeeets :d

I love my spreadsheets and stats (as you may have heard me say already!) so from various training schedules, and based on a few target races I've devised my own training schedule. I've worked out a steady progression of my ability and adjusted the workouts to suit, most notably the speedwork...

Speedwork I'll always do in the same place - yes the scenery gets very 'samey' but I tend to spend so much time thinking about how hard it is and how i'm going to finish the rep alive that I don't worry much about Scenery. I tend to focus on running at various race paces... so i'll have 1500m paced sessions, 3000m paced sessions, 5k paced session, and 10k paced sessions Half marathon pace and longer will fall into other runs - i'm not sure it's fast enough to be classed as speedwork? (is it?!)

Tuesday's are club runs, I used to use these as a hard sessions and try and stick with the faster guys, but now I tend to just use it as a regular run just to help build an endurance base to work from. usually around 8miles the route is decided by the others at the club and seeing as I don't know the area that well it's either a new route every time, or it seems like a new route!

Wednesday's are easy runs, just to give me a gentle run out and allow the body to catch up with Monday's battering and any ill effects that may be left over from tuesdays effort, also in preparation for thursdays hard session. Mileage is set in my schedule and I tend to pick a route as close to that mileage as possible. It does mean I often cover similar roads and routes but I try to vary it a little :)

Thursdays lately have been club races, usually between 4 and 6 miles I get to use them as a decent tempo run or a 'less serious' race effort. I like to think it helps me deal with race scenario's such as having people sat on my shoulder, trying to break towards the end, and being able to pace well from the start etc... If there's no club race It's a repeat of Tuesday but I'll perhaps push a little harder.

Friday is rest day.

Saturday is long run day - I head over to my parents house and there's a whole host of routes I can take from there, so although the first and last mile or so is the same, the bulk of the run can be in new surroundings. Distances vary a fair bit.

Sunday is a recovery run, much like weds I pick a route around my local area based on the mileage I'm supposed to be doing :)

I can be pretty flexible with my training week, so if something comes up on a monday I'll just shift speedwork to another night or something. I had planned paces for each of my regular, long, and recovery runs but I'll only loosely stick to them and keep them at the back of my mind, I seem to average out pretty near to my goal pace anyhow.

Bloomin' eck I could talk forever about my training! how sad eh? :embarrassed:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a look at your new site and read your race reports, can't beat reading something that somone loves to do, even better when its a common interest :)
Thats some hardcore training :) 1 rest day out of the 7 days.....I would love to do that but would need to find some more routes around about me, I tend to get bored of a route pretty quickly once I know I can do it. I like the challange of not knowing if I can finish it or not.......

I will download a training program and then maybe get myself a spreadsheet...in a way I wish I had started one from day1 so I can see where I was and where I am now.

What sort of data do you store in your spreadsheet RS?

*Sits back, gets a drink and waits for RS's reply* :)

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I reckon it could be a long one ha ha, hope you have a big cup O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I have various spreadsheets, but my training one basically consists of one large table, containing 1 week per row, each day is labelled by date, type of run/activity for the day, details of the activity (e.g. details of speedwork repetition distances and no. of reps, pace, rest periods... or for more simple runs just a case of distance and pace), then a cell just to put in total mileage for the run so I can get an idea of my weekly mileage (obviously a coloumn on the right tallying up the weeks mileage)... each cell is colour coded too so I can get an idea at a glance of what my session is for the day without having to read all the details. (REST, Race, Long Run, Easy/Steady Run, 1/2 Mara Pace, 10k Pace, 5k Pace, 3k Pace, 1.5k Pace, Tempo/TT, Club Run, Hill session).

Other spreadsheets include my race pace progress which plots all my races onto a graph so I can see how I'm improving over time. Another is a race time predictor - similar to those found online it just means I don't need the net to check. Next is my pace/speed calculator, a little similar to the one on this sites sidebar but gives me min/mi, min/km, mph and km/h which can be useful if planning to use a treadmill, working out target times for speedwork etc.

Another one which is a very loosely based theory, but interesting none-the less, is a weight/time prediction. Using the theory that for every lb in weight we are lighter, we can run approx 2seconds quicker per mile... give it a recent race time and distance and it'll produce a matrix of times predicting what times you might be able to achieve at various distances based on various weights. It uses the logic from the race time predictor too. For instance, based on my recent 35:59 finish time in a 6 mile race when I weighed 12st 8lb... If I were able to drop to 11st 7lb, I should in theory be able to run a 34:33 10k with no further improvement in fitness (i.e. weightloss alone)... OR a 1:16:11 half marathon! Of course it is only a very loosely based theory, and should be taken with more than a pinch of salt, but it's something I'd love to do some detailed research into in my lifetime!

Other calculators include a VO2 MAX calculator... Heart rate percentage calulator (useful for training by HR), and a split time calculator (give it a race distance and taget time and it'll give you your time splits for each mile or Km marker.

I fully admit it's pretty geeky and sad - but I love it! :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I run the same route every time, and it's not circular. I run out a distance, then run back. I know the markers for 1 mile, 3 miles, 4 miles, and 5 miles, so can pretty much do trials for any distance. I know some people would find that too tedious, but I like consistency :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
in response to wanting to train 6 days a week... I think it just sort of happens over time! I do get a little frustrated at times and want to run on my rest day, but I also understand how important it is for the body to recover, rebuild and strengthen. My easy days can virtually be seen as rest days since I'm not really pushing myself. Even now though I end up taking days off from time to time because my legs are just shattered!

I think what you've achieved in your running career in such a short space of time is simply awesome Owain, so my hat goes off to you for that!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts