Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
As a relative new comer to running I've had no really bad injuries. However, I have had the usual beginner problems of shin splints and tendonitis (both forced me to stop training for about 2 months until the pain went).

I've also recently had a problem with a tight illio psoas. Which is causing my style to alter, twisting at the hip on my right forward stride, which in turn is causing pain on my left side as I try to rectify the problem. I was out for about a month with this at the end of Feb beginning of March. Which has annoyingly messed up my marathon training after doing quite well early on.

Worst injury I've had was from football though. I got fouled, fell over and landed on my arm, I snapped my humerus in half. Had to wear a brace on my arm and have it strapped to my body for 5 months. My arm is still bent and will never straighten, it looked horrible at first as the muscle wasted away. But now the muscle has developed you can't tell, I have no on going problems with it either (touch wood!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
knees, 15 months, mainly waitiing for a cat scan.
achilles 4 months twice.

not my favourite subject as all were self inflicted through over training and chasing a marathon time. got the times though :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
My worst injury is the one i've got.

It seemed quite simple to begin with but hasn't responded to physio treatment and so he's finding more 'layers' to the problem.

I feel like I'm never going to be able to get back out there :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Trinity said:
My worst injury is the one i've got.

It seemed quite simple to begin with but hasn't responded to physio treatment and so he's finding more 'layers' to the problem.

I feel like I'm never going to be able to get back out there :(
Injuries are rubbish! Really find it frustrating when I can't run.

What have you done Trinity?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
'Something' to my right leg

It buckled at about 14 miles in to a 20 mile race on April 2nd...my last long run before FLM. But there was no pain so I kept running and even went on to get a PB.

However when I stopped running I could hardly put any weight on it.

I went to see my sports masseur, he couldn't find a problem so I rested for over two weeks hoping it would heal in time for FLM.... it didn't, and I ended up deferring.

I've also had to withdraw from two half marathons since and the Copenhagen marathon, which is this weekend. On top of that I won't be able to run Dartmoor Discovery either, which is one of the highlights of my racing year :(

I've been seeing a physio as I said, who has ironed out a few problems but hasn't been able to get to the core problem. Spoke to him today and he has just referred me on to someone else.... who is also rather more expensive!

I'm going to see this guy on Wednesday... so I'll let you know if they decide amputation is the answer

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well, I saw him on Wednesday and he gave me a short list of about 5 conditions. I'm going to have an MRI scan next friday to get a conclusive diagnosis.

The bad news is that there is no treatment for the possible conditions... I can only work on strengthening my quads while keeping my fitness up in the gym with non impact work and weights.

I'm not allowed to run at all for 6 weeks, then if there is still a problem I'll have to rest from running for another 6 weeks and so on.

There are no guarantees that it will recover enough for me to run the distances and amount that I have been...it's just a wait and see situation, the rest is up to my body's healing processes :confused:

I've now pulled out of 9 races, which takes me up to the end of July.

I have a marathon booked for September but even if I can run by then I'll have a lot of training to do in a reletively short time, which probably isn't the best idea.

I guess I'll just have to take it one step at a time

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry to hear this Trinity. I sincerely hope the first 6 weeks do trhe trick, though even that must seem like an eternity.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Thanks Greg... it is an eternity, I've already been off for 6 weeks since the injury happened... 12 weeks is almost a whole marathon schedule!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trinity said:
Thanks Greg... it is an eternity, I've already been off for 6 weeks since the injury happened... 12 weeks is almost a whole marathon schedule!!
I know how you feel Trinity, its incredibly frustrating been injured. What exactly have you done?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ajtuna... still don't know exactly but hope to find out next week when I have the MRI

I posted what happened to my leg earlier in this thread...I only wished I'd have backed off or even stopped when my leg buckled in the race in April

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi... I haven't been in the forum for a while coz I've been suffering from 'Injured Runners Depression'

So, the latest is.... I had the MRI, which clearly showed the problem and I got the results a week ago along with all the films of the inside of my knee :confused:

Official diagnosis is Hyaline cartilage irregularity and ulceration over the lateral facet of the patella.

That fits perfectly with the symptoms and area of pain too.

I am now on day 8 of a six week course of strengthening and muscle lengthening exercises with ankle weights.

After the 6 weeks are up then I can try a short gentle run...by which time I will have had 4 months off....so a short gentle run will probably be all I'll be able to manage :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hang in there Trinity, I'm sure you'll soon be back and running faster than ever as a result of a rest!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Nearly 4 months after injury struck I am finally allowed to start 'running' again.
I've kept up my daily exercises as prescribed by my physio and when I went to see him last week he said I could do 2 gentle miles at the weekend.

So I went out on Saturday and did 2 miles in over 19 minutes. On Sunday my muscles hurt so much it felt like I'd run 20, not 2 miles :(

I got so depressed, especially as the same weekend a year ago I ran a 52 mile ultra.

I guess it's going to be a long haul back

·
Registered
9 Posts
comeback

hi trinity,just read thru your posts on here and like all members can empathise with what youv been thru; i know it took a major injury to make me realise just how lucky i am when fit and running and determined not to take it for granted...welcome back and hope your knee is getting stronger,

dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts