Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talking about what music I was brought up with and how it brings a smile to my face thinking of it.

Going to family parties linking arms to Chas n Dave and Air Guitaring to Mud... drumming to Phil Collins

I was subjected to the Rolling Stones every weekend by my mum and Dire Straits... Level 42, Neil Diamond, Barbara Striesand (sorry for spelling)

What was you subjected too.

:d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve i have actually been to a Jazz concert and enjoyed it very much.

Was a fit man playing the sax cooorrrrrr

Cant remember his name

·
Registered
506 Posts
My Mum and Dad were ageing 50's rock'n rollers and used to demonstrate how they did the twist after the pub, much to the bemusement of me and my siblings! We always had a lot of Elvis, Shirelles, Del Shannon, Orbison and all that stuff. Dad was an Irish man and liked his country and western so I have Ode to Billy Joe by Bobby Gentry and Welcome To My World by Jim Reeves etched on my head forever. Even though I was born in '70, I still love the music of the 50's and 60's because of my upbringing. When I think about my own fledgling record collection as a 7 year old, it comprised of a couple of singles from Grease, a Showaddywaddy song and Dippety Day by the Smurfs, so Mum and Dad were obviously a better influence.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Went with SWMBO, and two of her photo friends, to see the East Norfolk Jazz Orchestra a couple of Fridays ago...not really my scene as not trad jazz....more big band...but they had 4 sax players there all ladies including a 14 year old girl......never noticed how fit there were!!!! (No I don't mean the 14 year old!)

Nothing compares to the jazz I heard/saw in Chicago/ New Orleans though....mind you the jazz groups on Charles Bridge in Prague were pretty darn good.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Rob said:
My Mum and Dad were ageing 50's rock'n rollers and used to demonstrate how they did the twist after the pub, much to the bemusement of me and my siblings! We always had a lot of Elvis, Shirelles, Del Shannon, Orbison and all that stuff. Dad was an Irish man and liked his country and western so I have Ode to Billy Joe by Bobby Gentry and Welcome To My World by Jim Reeves etched on my head forever. Even though I was born in '70, I still love the music of the 50's and 60's because of my upbringing. When I think about my own fledgling record collection as a 7 year old, it comprised of a couple of singles from Grease, a Showaddywaddy song and Dippety Day by the Smurfs, so Mum and Dad were obviously a better influence.
Got plenty of that stuff on out jukebox...plus Showaddywaddy and Grease 45s....good bop along tunes!!

Errrr shouldn't admit this but have seen Showaddywaddy in concert! Not as good as Slade !!

·
Registered
506 Posts
First performance of live music I ever saw was Little And Large in panto doing a song and all I wanted was for Eddie to drop his guitar on the elasticated guitar strap and bounce it back up - do you remember that?? lol. He did it and it made my night! God knows why I ever though Sid Little was funny.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just have to confess that in my youth I was a huge Gary Glitter fan.:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Just goes to show that the old saying is true...You should never meet your heroes;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Again I saw him in concert...was a good show...long before anyone was aware of his misdemeanors so to speak. Glad I never joined his gang......

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SLADE are brill too and Showaddywaddy

I have seen the rolling stones 4 times in Concert now.

Love a bit of Boney M too.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It was Country and Western for me.

Johnny Cash,Boxcar Willie etc.

A boy Named Sue and Big John are tracks That always spring to mind when I think of the long drive upto Scotland to see the relatives when I was a wee one.

Not necessarily my taste now though.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
My dad always played classic rock music, so I got into that. I really like bands like Rush, Yes, Free, Deep Purple, Hendrix etc.......

I then started looking into who influenced these bands and got into blues like Albert King, Buddy Guy and Son House.

I also like a lot of really heavy bands like Sepultura, Zyklon, Emperor and Sick Of It All, too.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Rob said:
I still watch Big Country on Youtube! Guitars that sounded like bagpipes. Stuart Adamson RIP:(
They were the best, I was so shocked when I heard about Stuart Adamson. They were a great band.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My Dad was into Pink Floyd big time (which I still listen to now) - as for me, it was Frankie goes to Hollywood and Pet Shop boys :embarrassed:

I think I still have the 'war' T-shirt somewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was in love with Lesley in the Bay City Rollers (i even had socks with a picture of them on) and then grew up and had thing for Adam Ant (My Prince) i

1 - 20 of 30 Posts